bell Warning! JavaScript is disabled! To take full advantage of our site and functionality, we recommend you enable it.
Online Threat Alerts (OTA)  - Alerting you to cyber threats lurking on the internet.

Tom Crist the Canadian CEO Who Won 40 Million - Donation Lottery Scams

Date: January 13, 2014 7:09 PM - Views: 5,060 - Article ID:5317 - Comments: 15
Tom Crist the Canadian CEO Who Won 40 Million - Donation Lottery Scams

Tom Crist, the retired Canadian CEO from Calgary, Alberta, who won the $40 million staggering lottery prize and decided to give it all away to charity following the death of his wife, who lost her battle to cancer, name is now used as bait by lottery scammers. Lottery scammers have been sending fake email messages claiming to be sent from Tom Crist, to trick their potential victims into sending their personal, financial information and money to them. The email messages are lottery scams and were not sent by Mr. Tom Crist.

The email claims that Tom Crist has received the recipients' email addresses that were submitted by Google and Facebook, and he will send them $1,200,000 USD. But, in order for the recipients to receive the money, they must submit their full name, age, phone number, address and country.

The “Tom Crist Canadian Man Who 40 Million Donation” Lottery Scam Emails

Subject: Your EMAIL Was Submitted To Me By Google To Receive $1.2 Million Donation From Me

Congratulations! I am Tom Crist, the Canadian CEO who won $40 million in the Calgary Canada Lotto, & i am writing to inform you that Google in alliance with Microsoft submitted your "Email" upon my request to receive a Cheque/Check for $1.2 million from me, after I decided to donate my entire winnings in honour of my late wife, Jan, she died of cancer two years ago. I have already donated $1.2 million to the Alberta Cancer Foundation, which collects donations for Calgary's Tom Baker Cancer Centre, where Jan was treated before her death. Send me your *Full-Names, *Age:, *Tel:, & *Country, and a valid Cheque will be issued to you.....See links below for more proof/details;

Sincerely,
Mr. Tom Crist
======

Subject: Charity Donation Funds.

Tom Crist, the Canadian man that won a $40 million Canadian dollar lottery prize is writing to inform you that Google in alliance with Facebook have submitted your Email-Address to receive $1,200,000.00 USD from me, as I have decided to give all my winnings away to charity, individuals and organisations. For claims, send me your *Full-Names, *Age, *Phone-Number, *Address and *Country. my recent donations on link below;

Best Regards,
Mr. Tom Crist -(Canadian Lottery winner)
======

Remember, these emails are lottery scams and Google and Facebook did not send Tom Crist your email address for a chance to receive $1,200,000. These fake mail messages were created by scammers to trick gullible persons into sending their personal and financial information in order to use it to trick them into sending money for the prizes they think they will receive.

Do not send your money, personal and financial information, unless you want to be scammed. Never send money to someone who claims that you have won some prize and that you need to send money in order to claim it. This is usually the first sign that someone is attempting to scam you.

Tom Crist said he will only donate the $40 million lottery prize money to the Calgary’s Tom Baker Cancer Center that helped treated his late wife and other charities.

View, submit comments and answer questions below. If you want to receive alert notifications, please click here to register.

Alert others by sharing this article with them.

Send this to someone via email:
Email address:
Like our Facebook page at: www.facebook.com/OnlineThreatAlerts
Follow us on Twitter at: www.twitter.com/onlinethreatale
Click the following thumb up or down, if you like or dislike this alert.
Rating: Thumb up 1 likes Rating: Thumb down 0 dislikes

Tell us what you know or ask a question regarding this alert, by leaving a comment below. If you ask a question, please revisit to view the answers.If you have a question about something different from what this alert is about, do not post it below, instead, send that question to us using our contact us form. Click here to contact us.

Read the comments below, if there are any, before posting your comment or question. Someone may have already answered your question. Duplicate questions or answers will be deleted.

Your comment should not consist of all capital letters because it denotes shouting and shouting at other users is not acceptable.

If you want to receive email notifications when someone makes a comment, asks or answers a question, please click here to register. Anonymous users do not receive email notifications.

Comments or Questions (15)

The comments on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of Online Threat Alerts. Online Threat Alerts reserves the right not to publish comments that may be deemed libelous, derogatory or indecent.

• Anonymous: 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Simply put, if anyone is gullible enough to think a complete stranger wants to send them $1.2 million in exchange for their personal information, then I have some great ocean view property for sale in the Outback of Australia!

• Anonymous: 2 weeks, 6 days ago

I received one this morning. I assumed right off it was a scam though the video to CNN was a nice touch. My only concern is how did they get my email address to use to try and scam me? If I could find out I'd sue the people that leaked it.

• Anonymous: 1 month, 1 week ago

As of today, March 15, 2014, these same emails above are still circulating and making the rounds on Yahoo. I received one in my yahoo email box. Please note, "Tom Crist, said he will only donate the $40 million lottery prize money to the Calgary’s Tom Baker Cancer Center that helped treated his late wife and other charities.'

Watch out for the SCAMMERS.
    This is what my email stated:
    -----
    Congratulations! I am Tom Crist, the Canadian CEO who won $40 million in
    the Calgary Canada Lotto, this is to inform you that Google in alliance
    with Facebook have submitted your Email-Address to received a
    $2,000,000.00(Two Million United States Dollars) donation from me. I have
    decided to donate my entire winnings in honor of my late wife, Jan, she
    died of cancer two years ago. Many Donations have gone to Several Cancer
    Foundations around the world. So please do make available *Full-Names,
    *Age, *Tell, *Country, *Occupation and a valid Cheque will be issued to
    you.....
    -----

Stay safe on the Internet, and never give out personal info.

• Anonymous: 1 month, 3 weeks ago

The scam I received:
    ---------
    Once again, I am Tom Crist, president of the CRIST FOUNDATION established for charity purposes. Our primary objective is to promote the name of this foundation by disbursing my winnings to Good spirited individuals, Churches, Orphanages, Charities and to help improve the standard of living among the less privileged.
    ---------

Thank you for this website....i was saved.

• info: 1 month, 4 weeks ago

Scammers are sending out more of this scam. See below:
    --------------------

Dear ,

I am Mr. Tom Crist, a retired CEO that won $40 million in the Calgary Lotto Max. I am writing to notify you that Google submitted your "Email" upon my family's request to receive a Check for $1.2 million from me, after I decided to donate my entire winnings in honour of my late wife, Jan, who died of cancer 2 years ago

I have already donated $1.2 million to the Tom Baker Cancer Center and I intend to continue giving, however, recipients of my donations are always advised to also donate to charities close to their hearts as I do not interfere on how you use your check/cheque.

I intend to provide a straightforward, powerful, and a high personal approach to giving. My approach is simple - build a better world by making philanthropy easy. see info below;

• Anonymous: 1 month, 4 weeks ago

Well I received the same email and thought it was true , since they attached the videos of Mr. Tom Crist. I was hoping to use the money to help my son friend who is 17 and battling Cancer and wanted to help with his medical Bill treatments. He is fighting his battle to Leukemia. He is at Houston Hospital .
    Damnn scammers they try to use other peoples good deeds to scam others!
    Well if they keep sending emails I will put them in their place .

Loyal Heart

• Anonymous: 2 months, 0 week ago

Wow! I am glad I decided to look this up. I just received this email and thought my prayers had been answered. I am 5 classes short of earning my Bachelor's Degree but my financial aid has ran out (I didn't realize the school I chose cost so much) and I am being kicked out because I do not have the remaining 13K to finish. When I saw this email I thought finally something good is happening and I can finish school, be the first in my family to graduate college and move on to bigger and better things. The email sounded so legit with the scammers adding the CNN video, I actually thought (briefly) this may be true. Thanks for the heads up and I hope no one falls for this scam. Congratulations to Mr. Crist, what a wonderful man to donate money to charitable foundation.

Sincerely,
    Micki

• Anonymous: 2 months, 1 week ago

Hi, I received a scam notice of being Tom Crist donation receiver of $550,000.00 and the catch turned out to be that I have to sign up for an offshore account at American Express Bank of Dubai. It meant, according to "Michael Phelps", "bank rep" for mr Crist, that I get to pay $440.00 asap to have a temprary account to recieve the gift funds. Too bad. not true. J Powers

• Anonymous: 3 months, 0 week ago

I have received this fake email from Tom Crist. Since I have cancer and have a very difficult financial situation, I answered by giving the information requested: contact details (address, phone number and both my Email) and my age.
    Foolish me!!!
    Can someone answer this highly important question: Are all my personal information, user identification, passwords, bank account on Internet at risk to be exposed because I sent a message back?
    What do you mean by "someone is attempting to scam you"? What is the meaning of the word and the consequences of being scammed?

I'm not fluent in English. My first language (mother tongue) is French.

• info: 3 months, 0 week ago

Your bank and other online accounts are not at risk if you didn't send them the usernames and passwords. But, these persons collect this information so that they can use it and sell it to other scammers. These scammers will call you and send emails to you, in an attempt to convince you to send money.

Attempting to scam you means that the scammers are gathering information needed from you, which they will use to rip you off.

Giving them your address, phone number, both email addresses and age is like arming or giving these scammers tools to help them rip you off.

• Anonymous: 3 months, 1 week ago

Another Lottery Scam email message:
    ------

Ukrainian Prioririty Mail Express
    Krymshovsky St., 22, 01001,
    KYIV, UKRAINE
    garry-butenko @ukrexpmail.org
    ( 380) 932826743.

Dear Benificiary,
    Happy New Year! -You are receiving this email correspondence from Mr. Garry Butenko, Director of Logistics, Ukraine Priority Mail Express™ and this is in regards to your donation Check for $1,200,000.00 USD -One Million, Two Hundred Thousand that was donated to you by Tom Crist, Calgary's $40 million Lotto Winner and also the retired CEO of EECOL Electric who is giving away his entire lottery winnings in honour of his late wife. See Link Below;

Mr. Tom Crist have already donated $1.2 million to the Alberta Cancer Foundation, which collects donations for Calgary's Tom Baker Cancer Centre, where Jan, his late wife was treated before her death.
    ...

• Anonymous: 3 months, 1 week ago

Be aware,

I receive an email, offering me a check of $1.2 Millions,
    I just followed the game to investigate more...

But the real thing is that nobody offers that amount of money as simple,
    I was encouraged to provide money in order to send me my 1.2 million,...JeJeJe...am I stupid?

Sorry, but please take care for those looking to take profit from a real good actions,

If this helps, I receive directions to provide money to the contact below in order to process and send me my 1.2 million...

I asked to send money to a contact in Unkraine to:
    Payment Service: Western union
    Pay to: Dana Edward
    Adress: Krymshovsky St., 22, Kyiv
    Country: Ukraine

Of Cours I did not, hopefully this helps to prevent others be scammed....

• Anonymous: 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Thanks dear, really appreciate your kind and great information. You saved my life because I believed them. Now I'm clear. I have already sent my name, age, address and mobile number. Will that make any problem?

• info: 2 months, 1 week ago

Just be careful going forward, because these scammers will be calling you since they have your information.

• Anonymous: 2 months, 1 week ago

I did the same can it make any kind of trouble

About us   Advertise with us   Contribute to OTA   Report Cyber Threats    Mobile websiteMobile Website   RSS FeedRSS Feed   Contact us   Privacy Policy   Terms and Conditions   This site uses cookies to offer you a complete experience. Learn more.   Copyright © 2012 - 2014 Online Threat Alerts (OTA).