Warning! JavaScript is turned off or disabled! Some features on this website will not work.
« »

Beware of "WesternUnion Urgent Notification" Fraudulent Text Message Scams

2015-12-12T11:07:22 -  +
Beware of "WesternUnion Urgent Notification" Fraudulent Text Message Scams

The text message below: "WUMT.WesternUnion. Urgent.Notification.Follow," which appears as if it was sent by Western Union or from NY.gov, is a phishing scam created by scammers or cyber-criminals to steal the recipients’ Western Union account credentials (email address and password). Recipients of email or text messages appearing as if they came from Western Union, asking them to click on or follow a link, should delete the messages.

Please continue reading below.

The Western Union Text Message Phishing Scam

From: 315166@NY .gov
"WUMT.WesternUnion. Urgent.Notification.Follow: bit.ly/1STWReW"

The link in one of the phishing text messages goes to the following fake Western Union website:

• http://westernunion.global. money.transfer.international. centralcollegedublin.com/

Other fake Western Union email or text messages will contain links to other malicious or phishing websites. Remember, the legitimate Western Union website is located at: www.westernunion.com.

Now, once the potential victims enter their Western Union accounts credentials on the fake website in an attempt to sign-in, their credentials will be sent to the scammers who have created the website, who will use the stolen information to hijack their victims’ accounts. Once the scammers have access to their victims’ accounts, they will use the accounts fraudulently.

Victims of the Western Union text message phishing scam should change their passwords immediately and contact Western Union. They should let Western Union know that they were tricked by a fake text message, which took them to a phishing website where they unknowingly entered their accounts’ credentials in an attempt to sign-in, thinking they were on the legitimate Western Union website.

Also, report scams, untrustworthy, or fraudulent websites to us. Tell us why you consider the websites untrustworthy or fraudulent.

Remember to help us, help you, by donating. 🎁Click here to donate

Please continue reading below.

Comments, Questions and Reviews ✍

• Posted: Feb 14, 2018 12:07 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Tucson, Arizona, United States

First noticed a caller ID number one digit different than my phone number...Then noticed I missed two more calls from two other different phone numbers one digit off from mine.

Same day: Received a txt msg.
    Western/Union/Gift/Transfer-5896910203 transfer for $150.00
    FOLLOW: hxxps://is.gd/R1s2KV

Checked it out on the REAL Western Union website. Sorry no FREE money for me today.

• Posted: Dec 14, 2017 12:52 AM by an anonymous user from or near: York, South Carolina, United States

Here is another text message I received on my phone:

"Westernunion Alert msgid- tlnzl2p security alert! Please update your profile: the link says this hxxp://westernunionmuserstre.cf/w9nO/xY82QE.mob"

• Posted: Nov 18, 2017 7:58 AM by info

Here is another scam:

"Fwd: WesternUnion : MTCN 88087944 for $300 Ready f...
    Sat 18/11/2017 01:10
    From: 3103395716@vtext.com

"Fwd: WesternUnion : MTCN 88087944 for $300 Ready for pick up. Follow personal link at: hxxp://bit.ly/2AOUh7a"

• Posted: Oct 24, 2017 11:54 AM by an anonymous user from or near: Fayetteville, North Carolina, United States

My child just received a text stating that a money transfer of $241 dollars was ready for pick up. We are sure its a scam. Please be careful.

• Posted: May 23, 2017 12:08 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Fort Mill, South Carolina, United States

I just received a text to my cell from wmt6236@vzw that says:

"(WesternUnion - Money Transfer 5562781928 for $200 Is Ready To Pick Up. Follow : hxxp://bit.do/dsRCW NOW.)"

I am not expecting any money from anyone via Western Union so I assume this is a scam?

• Posted: May 24, 2017 2:31 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Madison, Alabama, United States

Received similar text message from gftwu389@al.com

• Posted: May 23, 2017 12:27 PM by info

Yes, it is a scam.

• Posted: May 14, 2017 1:13 PM by info

Here is another scam:

"Hello,

The first $5,000.00 was sent to you today through Western Union Money Transfer.Contact Person: Mr.Henry Okafor, Email: wnnnnn02@gmail.com , phone: 00226 76 168 413. They will keep sending you the daily payment of $5,000.00 until your total fund of $3,600,000.00 is completed.Forward to them your full name,phone number and address for them to be sure

Yours Faithfully,
    Mr.ken Malu"

• Posted: May 5, 2017 6:44 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Clinton, Missouri, United States

I received text showing from wuO5O@info.gov in body of text www.westernunion Money Transfer 7752298821. For $160.00 ready to pick up.Follow: ow.ly/a3wv3Obt7iO To Claim
    If you follow it, it opens up template asking email address and your password. I did not fill out template , I back out of site & then backed out of text to the display for choose text message. Thank you for posting relevant and current information regarding this matter.

• Posted: Apr 24, 2017 3:03 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Saint Cloud, Florida, United States

They are still at it. I got this group text today, sent to 24 recipients:

From:giftwu95100@fl.net
    "(WesternUnionGift)MTCN:7193530192 Ammount: 255.00$ Ready to pick up now ! Follow : hxxp://bit.do/dpptRt"

(Spelling was incorrect as above :/ ) I called Western Union fraud department and after being on hold for a few minutes the man that I spoke to said if there is no name he can't do anything about it.

• Posted: Apr 10, 2017 7:14 AM by an anonymous user from or near: Lugo, Galicia, Spain

I received an SMS this morning:

"Desde Western Union: DANIEL JOITA CRISTU retiro su transferencia. Gracias!"

No contact number except phone 447786 201785.

What would be the point of this, can you tell me.

Lyn.

• Posted: Apr 10, 2017 8:01 AM by info

They are attempting to frighten you into responding to the text, or calling the number the text came from. This is how cybercriminals know the number they have sent the text to is active. They will then attempt to scam you.

Never respond to or call back numbers you have received fraudulent, malicious or unsolicited messages from.

• Posted: Mar 23, 2017 4:44 AM by an anonymous user from or near: Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

"RM0 From Western Union: M KUNJAMMAL picked up your money transfer. Thank you!"

I received this message from 63001.

• Posted: Mar 2, 2017 12:03 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Washington, District of Columbia, United States

I just received one of these texts, and followed the link; it asked me to photograph and upload a copy of my DL/ State Id.

• Posted: Feb 8, 2017 12:04 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Florida, United States

Just got this message:

"FRM*WesternUnionAlert*
    MSG:Account Suspended.
    Read this now: xrespounsewesternunion.com/wusa"

• Posted: Jan 16, 2017 5:40 PM by info

Here is another scam:

"Dato: 12.01.2017 15:07 (GMT 01:00)
    Emne: WUMT: Your profile has been updated

Dear member,

This email is to confirm that you have successfully changed your Western Union profile.

If you did not make this change, please click here immediately to restore your account access.

You can access your profile at http://wumt.westernunion.com /WUMTCOMWEB/signInAction.do

Thank you for using Western Union !
    DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL. IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS PLEASE CONTACT US."

• Posted: Dec 18, 2016 5:57 PM by info

Received via email:

"Hi I have received a text message to my mobile that my husband has $3406.30 in his account and to click a link to withdraw."

• Posted: Dec 20, 2016 11:37 AM by an anonymous user from or near: Footscray, Victoria, Australia

Follow up on my last message...I clicked the link and it took me to that bull rap site. By Jake whatshisface from Aussies Method, then a clashing $47.500 message pops up saying that my trading cash is in my account..too bad I'm not a member or even trader..idiots!

• Posted: Dec 20, 2016 11:27 AM by an anonymous user from or near: Footscray, Victoria, Australia

I received the exact same text message...Dollar and cents amount are spot on to my text
      .Tho the link doesn't look fraudulent. So will click on it as I don't even have a western union account & don't have any banking apps on my phone. I will post results after i click the link!

• Posted: Dec 20, 2016 11:48 AM by info

Please do not click on the link.

• Posted: Dec 9, 2016 4:19 AM by info

Received via email:

"I received a phishing text. Message as follows.

FRM:nfowu10@info.gov
    MSG:WesternUnion-
    MSG:Your Attention Is
    Requested.Follow:http://
    Bit .ly/2gfL90v Today"

• Posted: Nov 29, 2016 12:48 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Baltimore, Maryland, United States

I am receiving a text from jd8a@verizon.net stating attention is needed and leading to a link supposedly form Wester Union.

• Posted: Nov 29, 2016 2:34 PM by info

It is another scam.

• Posted: Oct 26, 2016 3:24 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Richmond, Virginia, United States

received the follow today MTCN: 0305611001 Ammount: 250.00$ Ready to pick up. Follow: https://is.gd/QCxZuC|Western|UnionMSG|

I do not use Western Union

Deleted Text message and did not follow link.

• Posted: Oct 25, 2016 12:28 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Columbus, Georgia, United States

"MTCN: 3013901156 Ammount: 300.00$ Ready to pick up! Follow : https://is.gd/wesgdd WesternUnionTXT."

Recieved this text today from sweede@info.gov

I do not use WU or know anyone who does.

• Posted: Oct 19, 2016 6:58 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Durham, North Carolina, United States

Received the following text message today from: wu101925@info.gov

"(WesternUnion.Com - Urgent Notification. Follow : http://bitly.com/2e6Hk0j Now.)"

• Posted: Oct 11, 2016 1:29 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Cody, Wyoming, United States

I just received this text on my phone today. Oct. 11th 2016 9:55am
    897233879646@info
    (Fr:WesternUnion.YouReceivedFundsCodeTo Enter-6622314324.https://is.gd/B7kkGf.)

Please let everyone know that this a scam and delete immediately!!

Kathy

• Posted: Sep 27, 2016 9:14 AM by an anonymous user from or near: Birmingham, Alabama, United States

"wumnf07@info.gov

([www.westernunion.com]
    Alert - Urgent Notification. Follow:
    http://bit.ly/2do/EwZu NOW.)"

Sent as a text. Another scam.

• Posted: Sep 16, 2016 10:41 AM by an anonymous user from or near: Cary, North Carolina, United States

Thank you for this post. I just received the Western Union scam text. While I was not tempted to click the link, I appreciate that I could find detailed confirmation on the SCAM. Thanks.

• Posted: Sep 15, 2016 9:41 PM by info

Received via email:

"(WU ID: FQL90CZH) SMS ID: 846254 - www.westernunion.com.wucom-id913.com/WUCOMWEB/ WE HAVE TEMPORARILY PREVENTED ACCESS TO YOUR CARD!"

This was sent in a text to my phone it is a fraud.

• Posted: Sep 10, 2016 10:14 PM by info

Here is another scam:

"6125085023@vtext.com
    Fwd: (Your Attention Is Requested. Follow : https://bitly.com/2ceWpuh [WesternUnionMSG])"

• Posted: Sep 10, 2016 3:16 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Forest Lake, Minnesota, United States

Received 09-10-2016
    SCAM!
    "
    (Your Urgent Attention Is Needed. Please Follow : https://bitly.com/2ct1kv0 [WesternUnionMSG])"

• Posted: Sep 2, 2016 11:41 AM by info

Here is another text message scam:

"From: 9178820809@vtext.com
    Sent: Fri 9/02/16 10:11 AM

Fwd: (Your Attention Is Requested. Follow : https://bitly.com/2ccLyzV To Attend. [WesternUnion])"

• Posted: Aug 29, 2016 5:10 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Brush Prairie, Washington, United States

"([WesternUnion.Com] Your Urgent Attention is Requested. Follow : http://bitly.com/2bMQqep"

Received today, 8/29/2016.

• Posted: Aug 18, 2016 3:09 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Toms River, New Jersey, United States

I received a text from them stating:
    "([WesternUnion.Com]Your Attention Is Needed. Please Follow : http://bitly.com/2b4yFGH To Attend Today.)"

• Posted: Aug 17, 2016 6:47 PM by info

Received via email:

"I received the following text:

From: wilo@vzw.com
    Message Alert Please Follow:
    https://is.gd/RbkQ2F (WesternUnionMSG)

This was received on Wednesday, August 17 at 5:35 p.m.

I immediately figured it to be a scam of some sort and did not pursue the message. I just wanted to inform you of receiving it."

• Posted: Aug 17, 2016 6:44 PM by info

Received via email:
    "I received a text at 5:15 pm CST that stated:
    Message Alert Please Follow: https://is.gd/AENAvH (WesternUnionMSG)"

• Posted: Aug 17, 2016 1:02 PM by info

I received this as a text message. Is it a scam? It came from 203-990-5437

"Hello my daer customer,
    We have deposited the check of your fund ($2.500?000?USDA) through Western Union department after our finally meeting regarding your fund, All you will do is to contact Western Union director Dr williams Scott E-mail(western2612union@gmail.com) He will give you direction on how you will be receiving the funds daily. Remember to send him,with your Full information to avoid wrong transfer such as, Receiver's Name
    Address:
    Country:
    Phone Number:

Though.MR.MIKE JOHNSONhas sent $5000 in your name today so contact Dr williams Scott call him 22999084736

question/answer to pick the $5000 Please let us know as soon as you received all your fund,
    BEST REGARD FROM
    WESTERN UNION AGENT"

• Posted: Aug 17, 2016 1:02 PM by info

Yes, it is a scam.

• Posted: Aug 3, 2016 7:41 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Decatur, Georgia, United States

Got the fraudulent text today and wonder how they got my cell phone number. There are three others in my family and we have consecutive cell phone numbers and we all got the same message. One of them is a user of western union money transfers but doesn't have an account, just sends and receives cash. But how did they get our cell numbers?

• Posted: Aug 3, 2016 7:53 PM by info

They may have gotten your cell number from phishing websites, and you may have installed malicious apps that steal personal information. Or, your friends or family members may have installed malicious apps that stole your phone number from their phone's address book.

• Posted: Aug 6, 2016 6:42 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Trabuco Canyon, California, United States

I just received one of these texts. Your idea sounds plausible, but not in my case. I have a number I haven't given to anyone I know in person. The only people that do have my number are my bank and a select few of my credit card companies. I don't think it's likely that my bank or credit cards would share my phone number in this way.

My best guess is that they mass text people from phone number lists. If I google my phone number, there's only 2 pages of results. My number is listed on usaphonetrack dot com, but it's just one number in a huge list of numbers simply marked as "in use". I think that's what they're doing, looking for lists like these and mass texting all the numbers.

• Posted: Aug 8, 2016 10:05 AM by info

Although you have not given anyone your phone number, you do call people from it, which will be recorded or logged on the recipients' phones as a missed or received call.

Now, malicious apps can access call logs information on an infected phone and send it to cybercriminals.

• Posted: Jul 22, 2016 12:29 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Alpharetta, Georgia, United States

Received following text message:

"(Westernunionresponse) You Must Update Your Information!!!
    Click Here.->estcafe.ru/ online-westernunion- register.html"

I also received another the same day:
    "(Westernunion) Please confirm your information!
    Click here.->estcafe .ru/online-westernunion -register.html"

I have no account so I know this is fraud. I did not click to open the text so im not concerned but will be changing all my passwords anyway.

Thanks.

• Posted: Jul 19, 2016 2:27 PM by info

Received the following via email:

This is the text message alert I received today...I wrote down the info and then deleted message immediately the message was as followed.... "(PaymentFailed. MoneyTransferCanceled. ForMoreInfoFollow:https://bitly .com/2a8QTbY [WesternUnionMSG])"

I do not use western union so this message is a scam or an error either way I am reporting it to you and it is suspicious in nature to myself. TY"

• Posted: Jul 19, 2016 1:16 PM by info

Here is another scam:

"From: 6278292819@info.gov
    PaymentFailed. MoneyTransferCanceled. ForMoreInfoFollow : https://bitly .com/2a8QTbY [WesternUnionMSG])"

• Posted: Jul 19, 2016 10:39 AM by an anonymous user from or near: Atlanta, Georgia, United States

Received a text message today from: 6278295555@info.gov. Stated that a fund transfer was canceled and gave a link. I clicked on link and it was a Western Union page asking for email and password. Did not give info and deleted text message. I do not have a WU account. Hoping that clicking on link did not compromise any of my data.

• Posted: Jul 19, 2016 10:50 AM by info

No, it will not. The website was only created to steal Western Union username and password.

• Posted: Jul 15, 2016 8:54 AM by info

Received via email:

"Wednesday I received a text message from 726126663@info.gov. The message read like this:

(Your Attention Is Needed. Please
    Follow : https://bitly.com/29HCCV9
    (WesternUnionMSG))

I was just waking up when I received this message and half-asleep, I touched the link. I don't think the page loaded and I did not input any personal information, however I am a little concerned about this. I am assuming this message did not come from you. What I hope is that if this is a scam those responsible did not have access to anything on my iPhone. At first I didn't think much about it because some of the bills I pay on line go through your service. Please let me know if this is legitimate or not.

Thanks,
    Lee"

• Posted: Jul 15, 2016 8:55 AM by info

The text message is not legitimate. It is a scam sent by cybercriminals to trick you into visiting a phishing website. You are OK, once you did not enter your personal and financial information on the website that you were taken to after clicking on the link.

• Posted: Jul 14, 2016 8:19 AM by an anonymous user from or near: Washington, District of Columbia, United States

I received "(Your Attention is Needed. Please Follow: https://bitly .com/ 29HCCV9 (WesternUnionMSG)) from 726125553@info.gov"

Did not click - clearly a scam.

• Posted: Jul 13, 2016 2:25 PM by info

Here is another scam:

"9125471962@vtext.com
    Show details
    Fwd: (Your Attention Is Needed. Please Follow : https://bitly.com/ 29HCCV9 (WesternUnionMSG))"

• Posted: Jul 12, 2016 9:31 AM by an anonymous user from or near: Linthicum Heights, Maryland, United States

Received the following suspicious text (WesternUnion.Urgent. Notification FOLLOW:BiT.LY/29vsmvp)

• Posted: Jul 12, 2016 9:39 AM by info

It is a scam.

• Posted: Jul 11, 2016 11:01 AM by an anonymous user from or near: Hallett, Oklahoma, United States

Just recieved this text. I know it's a scam because I also don't have an account.

"(Important Message. Your Attention Is Requested. Please Follow: http://bitly.com/2a2fK0d [WesternUnionTXT])"

• Posted: Jul 7, 2016 1:06 PM by info

Here is another Western Union text message:
    "(Important Message. Your Attention Is Requested. Please Follow: https://bit.ly/29nneJL [WesternUnionTXT])"

• Posted: Jun 27, 2016 1:24 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Alamo, California, United States

Received a text from (844) 752-9073:

Wester Union Alert XGH81D Click http://tinyurl.com/zws5tx3

Assuming it's spam.

• Posted: Jun 27, 2016 1:57 PM by info

It is a scam.

• Posted: Jun 27, 2016 1:03 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Castro Valley, California, United States

Just received this. I don't have an account so I knew it was fraud. If I get something I am not expecting, I check it out before clicking on it.

WESTERN UNION ALERT XGH81D .CLICK http://tinyurl.com/zws5tx3

• Posted: Jun 26, 2016 12:57 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Atlanta, Georgia, United States

Received this text from (844) 735-5747:

"WESTERN UNION ALERT XGH81D .CLICK http:// goo .gl/u7Tg6h

Assuming it is spam, considering I do not have a Western Union account."

• Posted: Jun 27, 2016 11:31 AM by an anonymous user from or near: Blue Bell, United States

Received same message from 855-217-5755. Also, do not have WU account.

• Posted: Jun 22, 2016 2:12 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Portmore, Saint Catherine, Jamaica

• Posted: Jun 14, 2016 2:18 PM by an anonymous user from or near: East Dublin, United States

Just received this message from 6798121@info.com:
    "UrgentMessage. YourAttentionIsNeeded.Follow: https://is .gd/hfz5yt (WesternUnionMSG)

Typed in URL on computer and it came up as license plate info. At this time I figured it was a scam so I checked western union website and found these comments on scams.
    Received 6/14/16 at 2:32

• Posted: Jun 11, 2016 12:23 PM by info

This was received today at 12:35 pm via text message:
    - - -
    "4232404639@vtext.com
    This was received today at 12:35 pm via text message. Fwd: UrgentNotification.PleaseGoTo https://bit .ly/1szTSkA [WesternUnionTXT]"

• Posted: Jun 8, 2016 11:43 AM by an anonymous user from or near: Albany, New York, United States

Received the following text message from 728173@info .gov:

"(ImportantNotification.PleaseFollow :
    https://is .gd/u5nxgy
    [WesternUnionMSG])"

I used a couple online URL expanders to try to get the actual URL. None worked.

• Posted: Jun 7, 2016 11:28 AM by an anonymous user from or near: Yorktown Heights, New York, United States

Just recieved a text from 73845400@info .gov that reads:
    "(WesternUnion YourUrgentAttention IsNeeded. PleaseFollow : https://bit .ly/ 215u9vq)"
    Thank you for warning me!

• Posted: Jun 2, 2016 3:22 PM by info

The followin was sent to us via email:

(YourAttentionIsNeeded .PleaseFollow .PleaseFollow : https://bit .ly/25CL2UY (Weste rnUnI onTXT)) was sent to my phone from 728191@ info.gov

Seems really odd and suspicious

• Posted: Jun 1, 2016 11:41 AM by an anonymous user from or near: Fort Huachuaca, Arizona, United States

I received a text message from 271466@info .gov. I do not deal with Western Union, so I could not respond. I thought it was a scam from the beginning.

• Posted: Jun 1, 2016 11:55 AM by info

Yes, it is a scam sent by cybercriminals.

• Posted: May 19, 2016 6:33 PM by info

I recieved a text message from a 18443321849 number that said Western Union Urgent Notification. Follow a link. I did not click it but checked to see if it was legitimate, it seems it may not be. I am simply reporting it in hopes Western Union can stop whoever it trying to scam their customers.

Sincerely,
    Anissa

• Posted: May 19, 2016 7:01 PM by info

The message is a scam.

• Posted: May 19, 2016 4:29 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Apex, North Carolina, United States

Got one today saying: "Wester Union Urgent Notification. Follow: http://bit .ly/22htjNj" .... as a text message today.

• Posted: May 19, 2016 7:39 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Lawrenceville, Georgia, United States

I received the same text about an hour ago.

• Posted: May 19, 2016 5:02 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Cary, North Carolina, United States

Got the same as above in a text just now.

• Posted: May 17, 2016 4:13 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Beverly, Massachusetts, United States

Thank you for providing this information! I just received one of these texts and may have opened it if this information hadn't been out there. Received a text telling me to go to https://bit .ly/10cybLx for an important notification from western union.

• Posted: May 9, 2016 2:05 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Murfreesboro, Tennessee, United States

I received a text message with 40 others from 237427@TN .gov "/Wu/Westernunion/urgent/Go/To http://bit .ly/1T43uNh" Received at 1:44pm on 5/9/16

• Posted: May 9, 2016 10:29 AM by an anonymous user from or near: Columbus, Georgia, United States

Just now received a text message that read WesternUninUrgent Notification.visit https./bit .ly/1ZP2yS. I do no have a Western Union account, but thought I would pass this along...
    Did not click on the link, but sadly someone who is not up on this stuff will.

• Posted: Apr 22, 2016 1:22 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Damascus, United States

got one from 551228@info .gov with link: "WU/WesternUnion/Info/Go/To:http://bit .ly/114te2v"

• Posted: Apr 5, 2016 12:43 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Seattle, Washington, United States

I just got:
    "8640051987 (W E S T E R U N I O N Notification Goto bit.ly/229FvOJ)" - looked like a scam to me. Did not go.

• Posted: Apr 5, 2016 12:55 PM by info

Yes, it is a scam.

• Posted: Apr 1, 2016 2:09 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Denver, United States

I just received a text message from (802)745-0074:
    "(W.U.M.T INFO Required GoTO: www.tinyurl.com/jja6lhy)"

• Posted: Mar 31, 2016 7:56 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States

This scared me because when I looked at all the other phone numbers they sent this message to, it was the same area code and same prefix as mine. I'm not sure what the want but I don't feel comfortable opening this.

A.Oaks

• Posted: Mar 31, 2016 1:47 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Phoenix, United States

Just got the following text message from 91489@az .gov:

"IFWUMT/Western Union Notification/Follow: http://bit.ly/1M3bRJc"

I do not have a Western Union account but appreciate the information your site provided about this apparent scam. Thanks!

• Posted: Mar 29, 2016 12:31 PM by info

Hi,

I received this text today which seems very suspicious, especially since I don't have a Western Union account. I didn't open it, just deleted it. Just thought you should know.

(811) 598-8456 (W.U.M.T. UrgentNotification GoTO:http://ow. ly/ZYqCb)

Thanks,
    Tina

• Posted: Mar 18, 2016 9:35 AM by an anonymous user from or near: Chesapeake, Virginia, United States

Just received this text message on my smart phone:

"(WUMT Attention Required Follow: http//ow.ly/ZFeZE"

BEWARE.

• Posted: Apr 21, 2016 10:06 AM by an anonymous user from or near: Milwaukee, United States

Just received this text message on my smart phone: 3568164@ info.gov, WUWesternUnion.Info.Go.To:http://bit .ly/26dRgZi

• Posted: Mar 21, 2016 10:34 AM by an anonymous user from or near: Washington, District of Columbia, United States

I received the same exact text just now! DO NOT CLICK THE Link.

• Posted: May 22, 2017 10:16 AM by an anonymous user from or near: Waycross, Georgia, United States

what if I called the number that was attached? What could be the damage?

• Posted: May 22, 2017 10:48 AM by info

There is no damage in calling the number. Giving them your information and money would cause damage.

• Posted: Mar 14, 2016 6:14 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Marlborough, United States

Got text message from 7560002365@ rr.com

It says:
    "(WUMT My W.U.
    Urgent.Notification.Folllow

Didn't click on the link or respond.

• Posted: Mar 14, 2016 3:06 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Greensburg, United States

I received a random text from 999185@pa .gov that said Info/Westerunion/ notification/follow:Http://bit .ly/1Mio6Hw

• Posted: Mar 14, 2016 7:34 AM by info

Received the following from an anonymous user via email:

"Got a random text from 9563365000@ rr.com that said this: "(Office MY W.U Required Information GoTo: http://ow.ly/Zpfad)" l

I think they are sending random texts to try to get people to submit personal information to a fake Western Union."

• Posted: Mar 1, 2016 5:31 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Nashville, Tennessee, United States

I have changed my passwords to my email, and tried to contact Western Union about these text alert I keep getting.
    Is there anything else I can do to keep this scam from affecting me in the future?
    KAT

• Posted: Mar 1, 2016 5:58 PM by info

Report the text messages to your mobile provider. They maybe able to help you stop the text messages. And remember, the scam cannot hurt you unless you follow the instructions in the fake text messages.

• Posted: Mar 1, 2016 1:33 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Aurora, United States

I keep getting texts on my phone. However, I am always suspicious of any text sent to a block of 50 numbers at a time. I looked at the numbers they sent it to and they're all consecutive.

• Posted: Feb 28, 2016 3:53 PM by info

Received the following from an anonymous user via email:

"Received text message sent from
    327911@ar.gov
    WUCOM.WesternUnion/ Urgent/Notification/Go/To: http://bit .my/213FET7"

• Posted: Mar 1, 2016 4:38 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Lawrenceville, Georgia, United States

Was it fake or real?

• Posted: Mar 1, 2016 7:18 PM by info

The message is a fake. Western Union does NOT send out messages from .gov email addresses containing links.

• Posted: Feb 20, 2016 4:52 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Laguna Niguel, United States

Friday received text message:
    ""

From 918282893@WUMT.com
    "Today (Saturday), Received this
    WUCOM:WU.URGENT. NOTIFICATION.FOLLOW: http://bit I'll /1XDKHJP" and that was from 881912@Ok .gov.

• Posted: Feb 9, 2016 2:11 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Lakewood, United States

Mark Zuckerberg contacted me telling me he is the true Mark Zuckerberg and I will receive a large amount of money/ I have been private messaged from Facebook many times over a year.

• Posted: Feb 9, 2016 2:17 PM by info

It is a scam. There is no Facebook lottery and Mark is not contacting anyone claiming they won money.

• Posted: Feb 9, 2016 12:51 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Dayton, United States

I received a text from "775269@oh. gov" which read /westernunion/notification https://bit .ly/17QbFOR

• Posted: Feb 3, 2016 4:22 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Tucson, Arizona, United States

I received a text from 513771@az. gov which had a message attached that read "WesternUnion.Urgent. Notification.Go.To : http://bit .ly/1medJIN.

I did open it, and it sent me to Western Union, but since I don't have an account, I didn't enter my information.

• Posted: Feb 5, 2016 6:56 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Avondale, United States

The same thing is happening to me.

• Posted: Feb 19, 2016 3:04 AM by an anonymous user from or near: San Jose, California, United States

The same with me! I did the same thing just opened it and didnt enter anything..I dont have a Western Union acct.anyways!

• Posted: Mar 1, 2016 5:40 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Lawrenceville, Georgia, United States

Me either! I don't even have an account with Western Union and got this text twice!

• Posted: Feb 3, 2016 7:19 PM by info

The website the link took you to is not the real Western Union website. It is a fake, looking like the legitimate website.

• Posted: Jan 20, 2016 12:46 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States

I received a text message from blfjoafjndf@wumt.com and the message said:
    "Subject: westernunion- urgentmessage .goto: http://is .gd/50AsYU

I'm guessing a total scam! Because I clicked on the link and it took me to some fake Western Union page that was obviously not really Western Union! It didn't even have their trademarks or anything!! GGGrrr, I hate scammers!

• Posted: Dec 29, 2015 4:34 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Tinley Park, Illinois, United States

Received suspicious text message on 12/29/15:

"( West ernUn ion-UrgentMessage.Please goto:https://bit .ly/1mogvVR
    from nfowu@ vzw.com"

• Posted: Dec 23, 2015 11:32 AM by an anonymous user from or near: Evansville, United States

Received this message today: WUMT WesternUnion.urgent. notification and to follow link http://bit .ly/1RGlSN9.

Viewed the details and saw all the numbers including mine that it was sent to in consecutive order.

Mind alerted me about 10 times in a row through my headset. I did click the link but I haven't accessed the account in years.

Figured our it was a scam when I clicked the "forgot password" link and it took me to an "Internal Error" message.

• Posted: Dec 15, 2015 9:14 AM by an anonymous user from or near: San Francisco, California, United States

The following was sent to my phone number via text message"
    "WUMT.WesternUnion.Urgent.Notification.Follow: bit .ly/1STWReW"

• Posted: Dec 18, 2015 5:54 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Savannah, Georgia, United States

I have gotten two of these in recent weeks, claiming to be from Western Union, but it is ga.gov instead of ny. Same urgent notification, some weird bunch of letters and a link to click.

Show More of the 112 Comments