No internet connection

No Internet Connection Detected

Look Out for "BMO Fraud Department" Fake Emails and Telephone Numbers

I received the Bank of Montreal(BMO) message below, although I do not have a BMO account, so I knew right away the email is a scam. The fake email message claims fraudulent transactions have been detected on my account and I need to confirm them. But, instead of following the instructions in the fake email, I called BMO directly and asked them about the two telephone numbers (1-866-418-8151) and (416 849-9003) in the email to ensure they are aware of what is happening and have them confirm the numbers are fakes.

Look Out for BMO Fraud Department Fake Emails and Telephone Numbers

Please do not be fooled by online scammers who are claiming the numbers are legitimate. Always call BMO directly at the telephone number on their website (https://www.bmo.com/) or at the telephone number at the back of your credit card. Doing this will ensure you are talking to BMO and not scammers attempting to trick you into calling them at some fake telephone numbers.

A Sample of a Fraudulent Bank of Montreal(BMO) Email

From: BMO Fraud Department <BMO.FraudDepartment@bmo.com>

Date: Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 2:56 PM

Subject: Action Required: Please Confirm Activity

Action Required: Please Confirm Activity

BMO Fraud Protection Services: BMO credit card ending in 6129

Dear,

Protecting your security and the privacy of your information is something we take very seriously at BMO. We want to keep your account secure so we continuously monitor it for potentially fraudulent activity. There are transactions on your account that we need you to confirm were authorized by you.

If you have not already spoken to us please call us at 1-866-418-8151 from within Canada and the U.S.A, or contact the Canadian Operator collect at 416 849-9003 at your earliest convenience and speak with a fraud specialist. If you prefer, you can call us on the number on the back of your card. If we have already talked to you about this there is nothing more for you to do.

Sincerely,

BMO Fraud Department

How does the Bank of Montreal(BMO) Scam work?

The scammers send emails or text messages to their potential victims, or call their potential victims' numbers and leave a voice message, asking them to call the fake telephone numbers. If the potential victims call the numbers, they will be asked by a human or an Automated Interactive Voice Response system to enter their credit card and other information. If the requested information is entered, it will be sent to the cybercriminals behind the scam, who will use it fraudulently.

Therefore, BMO customers who have been tricked by the scam are asked to contact BMO for help immediately at the telephone number at the back of their cards.

Check the comment section below for additional information, share what you know or ask a question about this article by leaving a comment below. And, to quickly find answers to your questions, use our search Search engine.

Click here help maintain Online Threat Alerts (OTA).

Would you share this article with others?  +

• September 22, 2020 at 9:41 AM by an anonymous user from: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I received a call from MasterCard clamming it's BMO MasterCard, they said my card ending in 233 will be deactivated and that they will send a new one. They only needed my address LOL and full name - this is a scam call. BMO should do something about the situation, I am not a BMO customer, nor I want to be one, after the fraud calls and emails and them dont doing nothing at all to protect their customers.

• September 22, 2020 at 2:47 PM by an anonymous user from: Markham, Ontario, Canada

The above phone number is a legitimate number. Although you are not a BMO customer, please do your due diligence and contact the bank directly if you are concerned. By posting such incorrect information you’re preventing actual fraud victims from getting the help they need. Your number is probably an old phone number of the actual BMO customer they are trying to reach. If you are reading this and you have received a call from 1866 418 8151 CALL THE NUMBER ON THE BACK OF YOUR CARD OR GO TO THE NEAREST BRANCH TO CONFIRM. I ignored their emails and phone calls for months and was frauded because I chose to listen to incorrect posts like this m***n above me!

• June 30, 2020 at 9:43 AM by an anonymous user from: Canada

a broker asked me for a certain amount of fees to secure BMO 1st mortgage for me as if I apply on my own I wont get it due to a bundh of papers to submit they can over pass this as they are big investors in BMO does this sound normal to you?

and once I get the mortgage is this ok or bmo can take it back at any time mind you I have a lot of equity in the property

• June 19, 2020 at 7:25 AM by an anonymous user from: Welland, Ontario, Canada

I got a call saying was something wrong with my account so before I gave any info I asked who I was speaking with and the company, I have a list of questions for them who they are, what company they are with, their job title, city they are calling from their extension number and phone number I can reach them at... so I only got to ask who they were, the man at the other end said I was screening my call and hung up. if this was legit he would have had no problem answering my question before I gave any f my info (which I would not) I would have called back the head office first and verified that info. so watch out.. we do not have an account with BMO

• April 11, 2020 at 7:38 PM by an anonymous user from: Varennes, Quebec, Canada

10 April 2020

I got an automated phone call from 866-418-8151 saying there was a problem with my debit card. The message stated the last 4 digits of my card accurately. Don't know how they got it?!

• September 22, 2020 at 2:48 PM by an anonymous user from: Markham, Ontario, Canada

It’s because it is a legitimate call from the bank -_-

• July 14, 2020 at 9:45 AM by an anonymous user from: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I work for bmo and can confirm that is a legitimate phone number for the fraud department. When you call they will ask you security questions but never ask you to provide full information. If you have concerns attend the nearest branch or call customer service which is the number on the back of the card and they will confirm with you that 1866 418 8151 is legit.

• March 26, 2020 at 9:53 PM by an anonymous user from: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

These are legitimate phone numbers. You may call Bank of Montreal and ask them. Please don't spread false information. Update this article. There are legitimate scams out there, best practice is never entertain and trust someone calling you and asking for information. Ask the caller to leave notes on your account, then call the bank (get the number from back of your card or online website) and sort the issue or review the offer.

• June 1, 2019 at 10:43 AM by an anonymous user from: Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada

I received the same exact email, my card was indeed compromised and I did speak to a BMO rep both on the number of the email and on the number on the back of the card. However, my card was a prepaid master card that I use for the internet to minimize the risk of using a regular credit card, the idea is that worst case scenario I loose 20-50 or 100 dollars that are sitting in the card and not the credit limit of the card.

As it turns out my card was compromised when I made an online payment for MagicJack, seconds after the transaction was completed my card started to receive transaction requests from around Canada, all of them rejected for insufficient funds (only $180 in the card) which in turn triggered the BMO fraud system...

• December 20, 2018 at 9:03 PM by an anonymous user from: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

They do however still list the last four digits of your CC number. So your information had to be leaked in some form from another website you used and entered your CC info.

• December 11, 2018 at 2:59 PM by an anonymous user from: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

This is c**p.

If it was real, they would not leave a voice mail to general business numbers.

If it is the bank, they would try to get through to the cardholder and not leave a recorded message on general company lines.

• July 14, 2020 at 9:46 AM by an anonymous user from: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I can confirm that is a legitimate phone number for the fraud department. When you call they will ask you security questions but never ask you to provide full information. The fraud department will call every available number on file. If you have provided the general number. They will call If you have concerns attend the nearest branch or call customer service which is the number on the back of the card and they will confirm with you that 1866 418 8151 is legit.

• June 15, 2018 at 8:36 AM by an anonymous user from: Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Got a call from bmo to call 1888-676-2269. Is this number legitimate

• June 15, 2018 at 12:11 PM by info

Yes, the number is legitimate. It is located under "Account Management Unit" at the following:

• June 6, 2018 at 8:24 PM by an anonymous user from: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I received an email stating that there was a fraud alert on my Mastercard from

bmoalerts@bmo.com and asking me to call 1-866-418-8151. I had set up alerts to be emailed to me, so I felt that it could be legitimate (and it turned out to be legitimate).

I called the Mastercard customer service number 1-866-991-4769, which is the number on the back of my BMO Mastercard. The agent confirmed that 1-866-418-8151 is a valid number and is the direct line to the BMO Fraud department. He also confirmed that bmoalerts@bmo.com is the valid email that is used to send alerts to customers.

They confirmed that there was a fraud alert on my card. However, the suspicious transaction was one that I had made, so it was a false alarm.

I am just trying to correct some misinformation. Even though I confirmed that the 1-866-991-4769 is a valid BMO number, you are better off to call the number on the back of your Mastercard, rather than taking a chance.

One of the other commenters did show a scam email, where clicking on the link would probably phish to get your information, but it did not mention the above phone number.

• April 6, 2018 at 2:56 PM by an anonymous user from: Naperville, Illinois, United States

My daughter received 3 phone calls to her voicemail today from these scammers. The 866-418-8151 number. We called back BMO at the number printed on our cards and verified we had no fraud alerts from BMO on file. Do not give out any info to these thieves.

• July 14, 2020 at 9:47 AM by an anonymous user from: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I can confirm that is a legitimate phone number for the fraud department. When you call they will ask you security questions but never ask you to provide full information. If you have concerns attend the nearest branch or call customer service which is the number on the back of the card and they will confirm with you that 1866 418 8151 is legit.

• January 28, 2018 at 2:57 PM by an anonymous user from: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

perfect description of the problem

• February 8, 2018 at 9:58 AM by an anonymous user from: New York, United States

Agreed. Received a voicemail exactly reflecting the above and sounding very legitimate. I do not have any BMO cards or accounts.

• January 26, 2018 at 9:26 AM by an anonymous user from: Pont-Rouge, Quebec, Canada

I received such a call about a recent suspicious activity on my master card. I knew I haven't used my master card for a while so checked the mobile app and there were no unauthorized or pending transactions so I knew it was a fraudulent call.

• December 27, 2017 at 8:14 AM by an anonymous user from: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I just received a voicemail that is entirely consistent with the descriptions above. I received this voicemail on December 24, 2017.

I do have a credit card with BMO, but I became suspicious when the automated voicemail said they were investigating my card ending in "7313" (which I do not have).

This is a fraud.

• December 13, 2017 at 4:07 PM by an anonymous user from: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

This must be one of the FRAUDULENT E-MAILS FOR YOUR INFORMATION/ACTION

-Original Message-

From: 2017BMO Service Support Online [mailto:Sally.MacDonald@von.ca]

Sent: December 13, 2017 4:27 PM

Subject: #Action: #Changes made in your Internet Banking Profile#

#Action: Changes made in your Internet Banking Profile

#Date: December 13 2017.

#This is to inform that your profile data was changed by you or by someone logged in using your BMO DEBIT Card Number and password on 12/13/2017 from IP 95.84.78.5

#If you didn't change your profile data please visit and complete our BMO Online security measures: http://acauser.is-saved.org/account-bmosupport-info/

#2017 BMO Support Center

# luis.eguaras@toronto.ca"

• September 30, 2017 at 9:52 PM by an anonymous user from: New York, United States

Just so you guys know, I received this exact email (with the same phone numbers and everything) from BMO just yesterday (September 2017). I called BMO from the number on the back of my card (1-800-263-2263) and they did indeed want to confirm a transaction on my account. They also confirmed that they did send me an email, and since this email was the only one I got from them, the number on it might actually be legit. But in any case, if you get such an email, always, always, call the number on your card just in case.

• November 7, 2017 at 12:55 PM by an anonymous user from: Richmond, British Columbia, Canada

Can confirm. I had the exact same email with that same number. I was skeptical so I called the BMO number on the back of my Mastercard.

My account got flagged because I signed up for an ESSO speedpass and they charged my card with $0.00 under FAIRFAX LEE and also $0.00 for an ESSO GIFT CARD. The BMO rep told me she's had this call before.

• October 26, 2017 at 4:46 PM by an anonymous user from: Saanich, British Columbia, Canada

Same here. Had a call from 1-866-418-8151 with a very professional sounding message indicating there was a security concern with my MasterCard. I called the number on the back of the card and they confirmed my card had been compromised and they were sending a new one out.

I think the come away on this is to never call the number back, but call the number on your card, statement or other known secure source to determine if there is an issue.

• October 1, 2017 at 5:39 AM by info

Yes, you are right, the email is fake, but the number is correct. The scammers want you to click on a link in the email or reply to it, not call the number.

Look Out for "BMO Fraud Department" Fake Emails and Telephone Numbers