The con artist or scammer may apply urgency or pressure to the potential buyer indicating this is a now or never opportunity. The scammer also may be very accommodating; for example, they might be willing to wait while the potential buyer rushes to the ATM to get cash. In some instances, the scammer may be willing to accept whatever monetary amount the buyer can offer at the time.
The speaker scam was common in the 1980s and is believed to be the origin of the use of the term "high-end",and despite widespread information about the scam on consumer forums and watchdog sites, the scams continue operating across several continents.
The white van scam has also infiltrated the internet with scammers presenting online store-fronts, "official" Facebook pages, Craigslist ads, and eBay accounts to advertise and peddle their goods. Be aware that the online storefronts are meant to help legitimize the shoddy products and high MSRP prices when customers look them up online. For example, a storefront or eBay listing may display a "high-end" MSRP price of $2,500 for one item but another listing will drastically mark it down to around $300.
Avoiding Morentz Audio Scam
- Remain hyper-vigilant if approached by an individual(s) selling merchandise out of their vehicle;
- Google or internet search the company name or description of the situation, and add the word "scam" at the end before searching, which may help identify potential scams;
- Be aware that brand names may sound similar to well-known and regarded manufacturers;
- Ask the seller very specific questions about the product, origin, brand;
- Do not feel pressured to succumb to the seller's urgency to purchase immediately;
- Closely inspect the merchandise before buying;
- If it seems too good to be true, it probably is;
- When shopping online, use a credit card rather than a debit card; credit cards give you much greater consumer protection if your information is stolen.
Check the comment section below for additional information, share what you know, or ask a question about this article by leaving a comment below. And, to quickly find answers to your questions, use our search
Note: Some of the information in samples on this website may have been impersonated or spoofed.
Comments, Questions, Answers, or Reviews
To protect your privacy, please do not post or remove sensitive information in or from your comments, questions, or reviews. NB: We will use your IP address to display your approximate location to other users. That location is not enough to find you.
Your comment, answer, or review will be set as anonymous because you are not signed in. An anonymous comment, answer, or review cannot be edited or deleted, therefore, review it carefully before posting. Sign-in.
Write Your Comment, Question, Answer, or Review
Recommendation / Advertisement