What's happening right now?
The remission administrator, Gilardi & Co. LLC, is sending prefilled claim forms to people who paid scammers using MoneyGram transfers. The claim form will state the dollar amount you lost, based on MoneyGram records. Here's what to do if you get a prefilled claim form:
- If you agree with the loss amount shown, complete the form, and mail it back before the deadline. Be sure to sign and date the form, and provide your Social Security number.
- If you don't agree with the loss amount shown, follow the instructions on the form to provide documents that show your actual loss amount.
Mail your completed claim to United States v. MoneyGram International Inc, P.O. Box 43549, Providence, RI 02940-3549, or submit your claim online at moneygramremission.com(link is external).
How do I know this claim form is legitimate?
Your MoneyGram claim form should have:
- a return address of United States v. MoneyGram International Inc, P.O. Box 43549, Providence, RI 02940-3549,
- the remission administrator's phone number, 844-269-2630, and
- the official seals of the Department of Justice and the United States Postal Inspection Service.
It's free to file your claim.Do not pay anyone who asks for money to file a claim.
Why does the claim form ask for my Social Security number?
Before sending you a refund, DOJ must check with the Treasury Offset Program to verify that you don't owe any money to the federal government. It needs your Social Security number to do that. If you owe money, your refund amount could be reduced by the amount you owe.
I didn't get a prefilled claim form. Can I still file a claim?
After June 1, 2021, people who did not receive a prefilled claim form will be able to file a claim. You will be able to file a claim if you sent money to a scammer using MoneyGram:
- between January 1, 2013, and December 31, 2017,
- from within the United States, and
- using your own name on the money transfer.
You do not have to be a United States citizen or in the United States to file a claim.
What happens next?
It will take at least a year to review and verify claims, and determine who is eligible to receive a payment. We will update this web page when there is more information.
Additional information is available at moneygramremission.com/frequently-asked-questions.aspx(link is external).
Check the comment section below for additional information, share what you know, or ask a question about this article by leaving a comment below. And, to quickly find answers to your questions, use our search
Note: Some of the information in samples on this website may have been impersonated or spoofed.
Comments, Questions, Answers, or Reviews
To protect your privacy, please do not post or remove sensitive information in or from your comments, questions, or reviews. NB: We will use your IP address to display your approximate location to other users when you make a post. That location is not enough to find you.
Your comment, answer, or review will be set as anonymous because you are not signed in. An anonymous comment, answer, or review cannot be edited or deleted, therefore, review it carefully before posting. Sign-in.
Write Your Comment, Question, Answer, or Review