A PSEG Scam Call (Transcript)
Yes, this is PSE&G calling about your bill. You are behind in payments and if you do not pay within the next hour, we will shut off your service.
I think to myself, how can that be? I’m not behind on my bill. The caller ID says it is a local number, but not PSE&G.
Um… I’ve paid my bill, I think.
Our records show you are behind on your payments and the only way to keep your electricity on is to send a payment within the hour. You can pay by using an app that transfers money
How to Spot a PSEG Scam
- PSE&G never demands you use only one type of payment. They have a variety of payment options available, which don’t include using a third-party transfer app.
- You never received written notice from PSE&G about your account being past due.
- If PSE&G really were calling you, wouldn’t they know your account number?
- Checked your PSE&G bill online and your are not behind on your bill.
In one of the most common scams, a caller might:
- Pretend to be from PSE&G.
- Threaten to turn off your power in an hour.
- Demand immediate payment, often by prepaid card or fund transfer app.
Suspect a scammer. If you have any doubt, do not pay over the phone or call any number given to you by the scammer.
Here’s what to do:
- Hang up.
- Call us at the phone number on your bill: 1-800-436-PSEG (7734).
- Call the police.
It is critically important we continue to raise awareness and educate customers on how they can guard against becoming victims of impostor utility scams. Scammers continue to adapt and develop increasingly sophisticated tactics to take advantage of our customers.
For more information on how you can protect yourself, and loved ones, against utility payment scams visit pseg.com/scamalert.
Check the comment section below for additional information, share what you know, or ask a question about this article by leaving a comment below. And, to quickly find answers to your questions, use our search
Note: Some of the information in samples on this website may have been impersonated or spoofed.
Comments, Questions, Answers, or Reviews
To protect your privacy, please do not post or remove sensitive information in or from your comments, questions, or reviews. NB: We will use your IP address to display your approximate location to other users. That location is not enough to find you.
Your comment, answer, or review will be set as anonymous because you are not signed in. An anonymous comment, answer, or review cannot be edited or deleted, therefore, review it carefully before posting. Sign-in.
Write Your Comment, Question, Answer, or Review
Recommendation / Advertisement