Santander customers are being targeted by scammers who are sending out the fake text message below. The fake text claims a new device has been registered and payment sent from the recipients' accounts, and if it was not done by the recipients they should click the link in the text to cancel the payment. But, clicking the link only takes the recipients to a fake and phishing website, looking like Santander's legitimate website, which steals account credentials, personal and financial information.
The Santander Scam Text
SANTANDER: A new device has been registered and payment requested to MR C JONES. If this was NOT done by you, please visit verify-cancelpayment.com/login.
If you do get a suspicious looking email or text, here's some important advice.
- Look very carefully at emails or texts that come out of the blue supposedly from a bank or another trusted organisation.
- An unsolicited text or email from your bank or other genuine organisation will never ask you to provide passwords, personal or financial information in a message.
- Be extremely wary of links and attachments and never enter your banking details after clicking on a link. An email link may take you to a fake website which imitates Santander.
- Watch out for language that says things such as ‘you must act’.
- If you get an email or text from somebody asking you to change some payment details don’t do it without checking it out thoroughly first.
- If in any doubt at all, don’t reply. Phone the organisation sending you the text or email on their official phone number which you can look up on their website.
- If you're concerned or think you've responded to a scam email or text or given your details out to the wrong people, you should call us first on 0800 9 123 123 and report it to Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040.
Check the comment section below for additional information, share what you know, or ask a question about this article by leaving a comment below. And, to quickly find answers to your questions, use our search
Note: Some of the information in samples on this website may have been impersonated or spoofed.
Comments, Questions, Answers, or Reviews
To protect your privacy, please do not post or remove sensitive information in or from your comments, questions, or reviews. NB: We will use your IP address to display your approximate location to other users. That location is not enough to find you.
Your comment, answer, or review will be set as anonymous because you are not signed in. An anonymous comment, answer, or review cannot be edited or deleted, therefore, review it carefully before posting. Sign-in.
Write Your Comment, Question, Answer, or Review
Recommendation / Advertisement