Before filing a price gouging complaint, try to gather as much information as safely as possible. Below are some tips to help consumers know what evidence to capture and what to report:
- Take pictures of advertised prices, receipts, signs or price tags, and keep copies of any estimates, invoices, receipts or bills;
- If time and security permit, it may be helpful to identify the pricing of the same product sold by other sellers in the area;
- Compare products, noting similarities and differences, by recording the product name, brand, size/quantity, manufacturer, model number and price. Take pictures of the items if possible;
- Make a record of the name and address of the business or individual selling the more expensive commodity and of any others whose prices are being compared;
- Retain Receipts of necessary items purchased from businesses you generally frequent, as these may provide better context when determining if the price of the item during a declared state of emergency represents a gross disparity from the average price charged 30 days before the declaration;
- When renting a room, keep copies and make note of advertised pricing, booking confirmations and final bill. Also note the type of room and booking method; and
- For lumber purchases, it is important to note the size, grade, thickness and quality.
The "NO Scam" app is located at:
Report price gouging information to the Florida Attorney General’s Office online at MyFloridaLegal.com or by calling 1(866) 9NO-SCAM (1-866-966-7226). For more information about price gouging, click here.
Preparing early for hurricane season and maintaining an up-to-date home emergency kit is a great way to avoid price gouging. Many of the least expensive supplies are the first items to run out, leaving only higher priced products available for purchase.
For more information about price gouging and for tips to help better prepare for a storm, review the Attorney General’s 2019 Hurricane Preparedness Guide.
Check the comment section below for additional information, share what you know, or ask a question about this article by leaving a comment below. And, to quickly find answers to your questions, use our search
Note: Some of the information in samples on this website may have been impersonated or spoofed.
Comments, Questions, Answers, or Reviews
To protect your privacy, please do not post or remove sensitive information in or from your comments, questions, or reviews. NB: We will use your IP address to display your approximate location to other users. That location is not enough to find you.
Your comment, answer, or review will be set as anonymous because you are not signed in. An anonymous comment, answer, or review cannot be edited or deleted, therefore, review it carefully before posting. Sign-in.
Write Your Comment, Question, Answer, or Review
Recommendation / Advertisement