No internet connection

No Internet Connection Detected

backcert@labor.ny.gov New York Department of Labor Email

I received an email from backcert@labor.ny.gov that stated my information was compromised. I would NEVER enter any info or click on any LINK in an email like this. I want to know if the email is a legit or a scam? Please leave a comment below if you have receive a similar email or share information what you know.

backcert labor.ny.gov New York Department of Labor Email

Click here help maintain Online Threat Alerts (OTA).
Would you share this question and answer with others?  +

• September 23, 2020 at 12:19 PM by an anonymous user from: Astoria, New York, United States

Alot of scams out there. If it doesnt come from unemployment for real, even then I wouldnt put any info online. Call ui and check from there.

• July 3, 2020 at 8:09 AM by an anonymous user from: East Hampton, New York, United States

I too am having a problem signing in and when I called I got a IBM guy saying they were on strike? And had me resign in - I find this very odd and now wish I had not given him my information. Something is seriously wrong!

• June 5, 2020 at 12:34 PM by an anonymous user from: New York, United States

I am having a great deal of difficulty logging on to the website. They state that one can use their Password and username but it rejects mine and doesn't send the access code to authenticate that it is me. Thought at first that it was a sham, but the web page is very professional. Lots of questions and answers for the user. However, not very user friendly. Gonna finish working on it at home on my tablet. Call center not very helpful either.

• June 13, 2020 at 6:57 PM by an anonymous user from: Hampton Bays, New York, United States

It's a scam. I believe. Can someone verify this.

• June 5, 2020 at 8:30 PM by an anonymous user from: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Can't sign in. Can't even call in . What is the best way to get in touch with them. NYC labor department.

• June 4, 2020 at 12:11 PM by an anonymous user from: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Hi, the DocuSign relationship is legitimate. That does not mean that scammers aren't trying to create fake versions of emails and docs. To make sure you are signing a legitimate document, log into your DocuSign account. If you don't have an account, create one with the email that you are using for unemployment. If the requested document is real it will be in your action box (this will be obvious when you log-in). Otherwise, the email and the associate link could still be real, but I would be suspect. Also, at the bottom of the email are links to alternate signing. Again, this should take you to the log-in of DocuSign. Make sure you have not been redirected to what appears to be a DocuSign log-in. I wish the world wasn't this way, but we all must be careful. Thanks!

• May 31, 2020 at 8:19 AM by an anonymous user from: Shirley, New York, United States

I filled out the document about getting back pay and the question was I eligible to certify or not. I thought they asked me if I was eligible to work which I wasn't. I was not eligible which meant not eligible to certify so I made a mistake and they owe me three back weeks

• May 14, 2020 at 5:07 PM by an anonymous user from: Ridgewood, New York, United States

along with both tweet and homepage.

I got the following link after completion.

https://dol.ny.gov/ ...scroll down to the middle of the page. ((( Latest update, what you need to know )))

you get this after you finish reading, filing, and submitting.

This should of been included in the email when they are trying to get you to fill out the missing information or to backdate your unemployment insurance.

• May 14, 2020 at 4:56 PM by an anonymous user from: Ridgewood, New York, United States

my wife and I were looking.

I went to do a google search on both their backcert@labor.ny.gov it is not listed.

Hard to say still, right?

Check their twitter account https://twitter.com/NYSLabor and their homepage https://www.labor.ny.gov/announce/email-scam.shtm

When I was on twitter.

I browsed all the way towards Jan/Feb to be certain.

If you are not convinced.

Check their recent tweets.

They do state they will email individuals for backdates.

I clicked on certain links here and there.

They do point to both NY and NYC.gov sites. Yes, I went as far back as Jan/Feb ( consesus2020, job posting, parks ).

• May 14, 2020 at 3:08 PM by an anonymous user from: Elmhurst, New York, United States

It’s legit, my sister got payment of missing week

• May 14, 2020 at 6:51 AM by an anonymous user from: Brooklyn, New York, United States

I knew from the email address its a scam...they want your info... haha... no me...

• May 13, 2020 at 10:50 PM by an anonymous user from: United States

It's legit. NY DOL confirmed it on twitter.

• May 13, 2020 at 5:44 PM by an anonymous user from: Great Neck, New York, United States

Looks so real, But Im scared its a scam

• May 13, 2020 at 8:21 PM by an anonymous user from: Brooklyn, New York, United States

It's a fake. I've taken an thorough look at it and realized up top states WE ARE DOL? I find that very suspicious also If your logo into labor.ny.gov they would leave a message on there/your message board

• May 13, 2020 at 10:44 PM by an anonymous user from: Brooklyn, New York, United States

LATEST UPDATES :

https://www.dol.ny.gov home page

you will find this :The DOL is using DocuSign’s secure digital signature technology to help New Yorkers get their backdated payments. If you receive an email, please fill out the form and send it in so that we can get you the benefits you are eligible for as quickly as possible.

• May 13, 2020 at 8:10 AM by an anonymous user from: Plainview, New York, United States

Got one too, pause at sign request and ssn. But I did some research.

1. Some ppl mentioned before relevant info showing on DOL website talking about this email.

2. There is a code in the email for alternate way to do this on docusign.com/docusign.net, it will come out the same document as in the email with your name on it.

3. docusign Inc. seems a legit public listing company.

docusign.come/docusign.net owned by docusign Inc.

4. I think the reason it needs SSN again to make sure you are the one and they want to double check.

5. It's looks so legit, if not, AG or FBI will go after them in heart beat.

• May 13, 2020 at 6:58 AM by an anonymous user from: New York, United States

It is legit. If you go to the DOL website, it clearly says they will be using DocuSign and they ask for you to fill out the form.

• May 13, 2020 at 12:28 AM by an anonymous user from: Jamaica, New York, United States

Also, I failed to mention, DOL had paid us every cent already. Which is odd

• May 13, 2020 at 12:12 AM by an anonymous user from: Jamaica, New York, United States

DONT DO IT, if you look closer, they typed the link on the Message, and it's not on the FROM field. It's from a scammer using docusign.net

We received the same message

• May 30, 2020 at 11:50 AM by an anonymous user from: Queens Village, New York, United States

The email typed into the message is for the department or the preparer of the documents through DocuSign

I just started an onboarding process with a new job, they sent my I-9 forms and the like through DocuSign just like this, and I checked that email because I wasn't sure about this email from NYDOL either (I'm helping my dad with his).

If you read the information at the bottom (in the gray, after "Do Not Share This Email", "Alternate Signing Method", "About DocuSign")it says "Questions about the Document?" and "If you need to modify the document or have questions about the details in the document, please reach out to the sender by emailing them directly."

The email they typed in is for the actual sender of the document, not the service (DocuSign) that processed the documents and email. This is how you would know who's actually sending the documents and who to contact with questions.

• May 12, 2020 at 10:50 PM by an anonymous user from: Ozone Park, New York, United States

It’s legit, it’s on their homepage

• May 12, 2020 at 10:02 PM by an anonymous user from: Deer Park, New York, United States

I got the email too and I filed every week I was eligible and got my money so it’s not even relevant to me which tells me it’s a scam. There is no message in my inbox in my account which is where I would think it would be vs an email from DocuSign. I didn’t click on it. If it’s asking for your SS# and to sign DO NOT do it!

• May 12, 2020 at 8:13 PM by an anonymous user from: Flushing, New York, United States

My girlfriend got the email too but she filled in everything!

Hope it’s not a scam ...

• May 12, 2020 at 9:20 PM by an anonymous user from: The Bronx, New York, United States

Me and my sister also filled in everything 🙁

• May 12, 2020 at 7:46 PM by an anonymous user from: Jamaica, New York, United States

its legit, check the unemployment message box or your email from weeks ago they inform you that they will send you an email

• May 12, 2020 at 7:07 PM by an anonymous user from: Westbury, New York, United States

I think the best bet is to send email to Dept of Labor I think. I just copied the email and emailed the NYS dept of labor confirming if this is legit or not. Let's see what they say.

• May 13, 2020 at 5:36 PM by an anonymous user from: Syracuse, New York, United States

What did they say?

• June 16, 2020 at 3:49 PM by an anonymous user from: Huntington Station, New York, United States

well, what did they say?

• May 12, 2020 at 6:59 PM by an anonymous user from: Westbury, New York, United States

I got an email today too. I was going to reply then when they asked for my SS no. I stopped it. Is this legit? anyone know?

• May 12, 2020 at 8:50 PM by an anonymous user from: New York, United States

I did the same thing

• May 12, 2020 at 6:27 PM by an anonymous user from: New York, United States

Same here. Not sure what to do.

• May 12, 2020 at 6:15 PM by an anonymous user from: Long Island City, New York, United States

yes, it is legit

• May 12, 2020 at 5:50 PM by an anonymous user from: Yonkers, New York, United States

There is no such address as backcert@labor.ny.gov. it has to be a scam

• May 12, 2020 at 5:49 PM by an anonymous user from: Piscataway, New Jersey, United States

Is it real or not

• May 12, 2020 at 5:44 PM by an anonymous user from: Brightwaters, New York, United States

Was starting to fill out the on line form until it asked for my SS#. I slammed on the brakes and said wait a minute and checked the NYSDOL web site. It says if you receive a text or email asking for personal information it is a scam. This email asked for a social security number. My NYSDOL account already has that information. It’s a scam

Be careful people.

• May 12, 2020 at 8:18 PM by an anonymous user from: Flemington, New Jersey, United States

I got a paper letter mailed from the NYSDOL stating that this email was forthcoming due to weeks I did not certify a claim, then I got the email today. Still, not filling it out.

• May 12, 2020 at 5:24 PM by an anonymous user from: United States

got one too about backpayment owed. havent clicked. seems like a scam

• May 12, 2020 at 5:00 PM by an anonymous user from: Jamaica, New York, United States

I thought it was a scam too but it's legit. Visit https://dol.ny.gov/. Info is on the home page.

• May 14, 2020 at 6:34 AM by an anonymous user from: Brooklyn, New York, United States

I am also hoping that this is not a scam, however, the link brings you directly to ny.gov website. I copy and paste the following:

What You Need to Know

The DOL has begun a new initiative to proactively inform New Yorkers of the status of their unemployment benefits application through emails and text messages. This initiative is designed to keep New Yorkers informed throughout the process — from submission to approval.

Important Notice to NYS Employers: The Department of Labor issued a directive to remind employers of their obligation to provide information to employees to help them promptly complete the unemployment insurance benefits application. Employers may use Form IA 12.3 to provide this information.

The best way to file a new unemployment insurance claim is online. The application has been updated so New Yorkers can apply for Unemployment Insurance or Pandemic Unemployment Assistance.

If you have already filed a claim, and were told you needed to call to complete your application do NOT call - instead, the Department of Labor (DOL) call center will call you directly.

• May 12, 2020 at 3:30 PM by an anonymous user from: Astoria, New York, United States

It's not a scam, it's legit. NYS Dept of Labor tweeted out 5 hours ago that they would be using DocuSign to "help New Yorkers get all the backdated payments they are entitled to".

I received an email from them today as well, all good.

• May 12, 2020 at 1:52 PM by an anonymous user from: North Babylon, New York, United States

Yes! I just got this email with the exact same document so I tried googling the email address, but only this question comes up.

• May 12, 2020 at 1:30 PM by an anonymous user from: The Bronx, New York, United States

Yes the same here at 1:22am, who do you contact?

• May 12, 2020 at 1:10 PM by an anonymous user from: Flushing, New York, United States

Yes I received the same thing, What is really suspicious is why is sent thru email when they can send a message directly from the messages box in our own private user login? I'm looking everywhere and can't find anything saying if it's an actual email from them or is a Scam!

• May 12, 2020 at 1:03 PM by an anonymous user from: Forest Hills, New York, United States

I got an email from this address today saying I may be eligible for back pay and to click and fill out some form, urgently. I signed in my DOL account and saw no such message or form. Something feels off. I dont know how they have my name email and unemployment status if this is a scam its very worrisome because it looks so legit.

• May 12, 2020 at 12:58 PM by an anonymous user from: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Got the email too. NYS DOL posted about it on Twitter, that they’re using Docusign. But I’m still not convinced. Can anyone send documents via docusign? How do we verify the identity of the sender?

• May 12, 2020 at 12:48 PM by an anonymous user from: Flushing, New York, United States

Got 1 from theccxsame address stating I am owed back certifications. I have not touched it or anything. I am suspicious of this too. I am sending an email inside my inbox message board at department of labor.gov

• May 12, 2020 at 12:17 PM by an anonymous user from: Forest Hills, New York, United States

I got this today asking for signature in Social Security. For back unemployment

Action Required - NYS DOL Certification for Back Week Payments

• May 12, 2020 at 11:39 AM by an anonymous user from: Buffalo, New York, United States

Received an email today requesting my SSN and signature. Stated u may be owed unemployment payments. Is this legit?

• May 12, 2020 at 4:51 PM by an anonymous user from: Huntington Station, New York, United States

I am wondering the same thing. I missed out on 2 weeks of UI benefits and this would be REALLY helpful for me if legit however I am nervous to complete the form.

• May 12, 2020 at 4:05 PM by an anonymous user from: Brooklyn, New York, United States

asking for social.. lol cmon

• May 14, 2020 at 6:43 AM by an anonymous user from: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Clearly there are contradictions from the same ny.gov link.

What to believe? A lot of strange things happened in the last two months.

• May 12, 2020 at 4:02 PM by an anonymous user from: Brooklyn, New York, United States

love these phishing schemes, so elaborate.

you should just give me your social so I can help file on you behalf

• May 12, 2020 at 11:36 AM by an anonymous user from: Brooklyn, New York, United States

I got one from the same address regarding back payment from the DoL since their system was unable to handle the unemployment surge and I wasn't able to claim for over a month after being paid off. My spidey-sense says scam but I can't speak to anyone to find out.

• May 12, 2020 at 11:32 AM by an anonymous user from: Buffalo, New York, United States

I received one too, if you google it and look on the DOL homepage it comes up there and on FB and Twitter that it’s being done. Hope this helps!

• May 12, 2020 at 5:25 PM by an anonymous user from: United States

what u trying to say? u sound like a scam too, sorry

• May 12, 2020 at 3:47 PM by an anonymous user from: Port Washington, New York, United States

So what your saying, is it a scam?

• May 12, 2020 at 10:04 AM by an anonymous user from: Mineola, New York, United States

Got an email from the same email today and it wanted my SSN and drawn signature. It's very suspicious.

• May 12, 2020 at 6:33 PM by an anonymous user from: United States

Dont sign. Its a scam. Theyre sending a form via "docusign.net"

While docusign is a legitimate document app/company, the IRS or any form of legitimate government would not use such third parties.

If this was real, the Gov't would send you a physical letter first with a specific letter head identification number which you would use on the official govt site to file online.

• May 12, 2020 at 8:26 PM by an anonymous user from: Flemington, New Jersey, United States

I received an actual paper letter stating I would get this email but I'm still not filling it out with my social security Number.

• May 12, 2020 at 4:05 PM by an anonymous user from: Bradenton, Florida, United States

My husband and I both received this same e-mail. Wouldn't you think you had to log in to the NY DOL page first?

• May 12, 2020 at 3:19 PM by an anonymous user from: Staten Island, New York, United States

I too got the same email, not sure what to think of it. Can’t get through unemployment for help...

• May 12, 2020 at 2:25 PM by an anonymous user from: Wantagh, New York, United States

same here...it about certifying for back UI benifits...not sure if its legit...tried call DOL but thats impossible. I will not certify until im 100% sure and right now im leaning way to the scam side

• May 12, 2020 at 1:40 PM by an anonymous user from: Liverpool, New York, United States

I also received that email & ignored it

• May 12, 2020 at 1:33 PM by an anonymous user from: The Bronx, New York, United States

Same here at 1:23am 5/12, I would think this eould be regular mail.

• May 12, 2020 at 12:51 PM by an anonymous user from: Monroe, New York, United States

I did also. The information is on the Dept of labor website. It is legitimate.

Check www.labor.ny.gov

• May 12, 2020 at 12:48 PM by an anonymous user from: Elmhurst, New York, United States

I'm un NYC and I did received this email for unemployment, not sure if is legit

• May 13, 2020 at 10:42 PM by an anonymous user from: Brooklyn, New York, United States

that's from www.labor.ny.gov home page

• May 12, 2020 at 12:02 PM by an anonymous user from: Flushing, New York, United States

I received the same content today, I guess I was cheated

Comments Show More Answers (67)

backcert@labor.ny.gov New York Department of Labor Email