There have been several reports of people receiving scam cell-phone textmessages to trick unemployment insurance claimants into clicking a link. Here are examples of such scam text messages:
The U.S. Department of Justice and Federal Trade Commission have also warned consumers about this type of scam. Information about how to avoid text-message scams is available through the Federal Trade Commission, FBI, and the EDD Unemployment Scammers fact sheet.
Customers who are unsure whether a text message is legitimate can check their UI Online account or their mailed notice to verify the information.
Here are some key tips to help people determine whether a text message is a scam:
- Text messages asking people to reactivate a card by clicking a link are scams. Bank of America and EDD never text message people to reactivate a debit card.
- Never click a link in an unexpected text message claiming to be from EDD or Bank of America.
- Customers can verify whether an EDD text message is legitimate by checking UI Online or the mailed notice for the same information.
- Customers can call Bank of America using the telephone number on the back of their debit card to check if a bank-related text message is legitimate.
- EDD only sends text messages from the number 510-74 or 918-06. Customers should be aware, however, that a scammer might attempt to fake this number to trick someone.
Anyone who believes they have been victimized by a text-message scam should immediately report this crime to the National Center for Disaster Fraud by visiting justice.gov/disaster-fraud or by calling 866-720-5721. Customers can also report fraud to EDD by visiting Ask EDD and sel
Check the comment section below for additional information, share what you know, or ask a question about this article by leaving a comment below. And, to quickly find answers to your questions, use our search
Note: Some of the information in samples on this website may have been impersonated or spoofed.
Comments, Questions, Answers, or Reviews
To protect your privacy, please do not post or remove sensitive information in or from your comments, questions, or reviews. NB: We will use your IP address to display your approximate location to other users. That location is not enough to find you.
Your comment, answer, or review will be set as anonymous because you are not signed in. An anonymous comment, answer, or review cannot be edited or deleted, therefore, review it carefully before posting. Sign-in.
Write Your Comment, Question, Answer, or Review