Warning! JavaScript is turned off or disabled! Some features on this website will not work.
« »
Sponsored Links

Beware of "Google Gmail Account Deactivation" Phishing Scams

2017-11-02T14:07:36 -  +
Beware of "Google Gmail Account Deactivation" Phishing Scams

Google users who have received emails like the one below, which claim that their accounts will be deactivated or removed from Gmail.com server, are phishing scams. The fake email messages are being sent by cybercriminals to steal Google usernames and passwords, by tricking Gmail users into visiting a phishing website that steals email account credentials.

Please continue reading below.

Sponsored Links

A Sample of the "Google Gmail Account Deactivation" Phishing Scam

From: The Google Accounts <info@linguee.de>

Date: Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 10:43 AM

Subject: Your account will be deactivated

Hello,

This is to inform you that your request on: 10/30/2017 9:20:14 p.m. to remove your account from gmail.com server has been approved and will initiate in one hour from the exact time you open this message.

Regards.

ignore this message to continue with email removal or

If this deactivation was not requested by you

Please reply us.

Regards,

Google

The link in the phishing email message goes to a fake or phishing Gmail website, which will attempt to trick the potential victims into entering their usernames and passwords on it. If Gmail users attempt to sign into the phishing website with their usernames and passwords, it will be sent to the cybercriminals behind the email scam, who will use the information to hijack their accounts. The hijacked Gmail accounts will then be used by cybercriminals fraudulently.

Remember, if you receive email messages like these, please go directly to your email account instead of clicking on the links in the email messages. If there is anything wrong with your account, it will be shown to you after signing in. And, if you were tricked by one of these phishing scams, please change your password immediately before your Gmail account is hijacked. If your account has already been hijacked, click here for help regaining access to it.

Please share with us what you know or ask a question about this article by leaving a comment below. Also, check the comment section below for additional information, if there is any.

Also, report scams, untrustworthy, or fraudulent websites to us. Tell us why you consider the websites untrustworthy or fraudulent.

Remember to help us, help you, by donating. 🎁Click here to donate

Please continue reading below.

Sponsored Links
Comments, Questions and Reviews ✍

• Posted: Jul 19, 2018 12:18 PM by info

Received via email:

"I received a threat alert that my Gmail account was being deactivated from accounts@oldgold.website

it says reply to: infos@oldgold.website;infos@premiumuser.review;infos@goldenuser.club;infos@golduser.club"

• Posted: Jul 18, 2018 4:21 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Frederick, Maryland, United States

I received an email today from "Gmail" with the subject Terminate your account has been accepted, it states that I submitted a request to terminate my Gmail account, but I did not.
    Is this a scam?

• Posted: Jul 18, 2018 5:17 PM by info

Yes, it is a scam.

• Posted: Jul 8, 2018 7:32 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Dunstable, England, United Kingdom

I had one today in a different format telling me I had 48 hours to reply to it the sender has been blocked and password has been changed also reported message to google so far so good hope it stays that way.

Someone not as tech savvy will get scammed though google should do more to stop it could be employees doing it as how they get in.

• Posted: Jun 27, 2018 2:15 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Mount Juliet, Tennessee, United States

I just got an email of that exact format this morning on my phone. I was really worried and suspicious and immediately signed into my email on my laptop. Nothing was out of the ordinary and my gmail was still up too.

I'm glad I saw this article because it reaffirmed what I had already guessed to be true. Anyone else who's reading this article and these comments and it's already too late, I'm sorry and hope everything gets worked out.

• Posted: Jun 19, 2018 2:46 AM by an anonymous user from or near: Kihei, Hawaii, United States

I got scammed! $349.99 for 3 years of 7 layered protection. It was the same approach...As per your request, Google is terminating your Gmail Account effective in 12 hours. If you did not make this request, please call (888) 395-0555 for assistance. Sooooo, I did! They had me terrified that I was going to lose my entire account. WTF! I was on my way toward getting ready for work and didn't need this to deal with. Got me at the right time. I purchased their help. But before they could help me they wanted to ID the people who got into my computer to make the request to close my account. My response was: "What do I need to do?"

Of course, I had to let them into my computer before I would be able to find who did this. Discovered that I had to visitors from Russia who decided to send the message to Google from my computer. They promised that as soon as they are finished installing the software I needed for the 7 layers of protection, I would have no more trouble from hackers. They Installed Webroot anywhere and Trojan Remover. Why would they do this if they were scamming me? Anyone know?

• Posted: Jun 19, 2018 6:13 AM by info

They are giving you the impression that they are helping you to further scam you.

• Posted: Jun 12, 2018 10:21 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Cumberland, Maryland, United States

Why can't all the major email providers block these kinds of scam emails? I know they cannot block everyone, but if a computer or server somewhere sends out hundreds of identical emails with certain keywords or phrases, like "will initiate in one hour from the exact time you open this message," the company should be able to recognize it as SPAM and block it and everything from that account or server, or whatever.

I got almost the exact same thing in my yahoo email account that this article talks about. I also got one a week ago that says Yahoo Messenger is about to be discontinued. (Good riddance.)

• Posted: Jun 9, 2018 9:47 AM by an anonymous user from or near: San Jose, California, United States

I want to report these address to you, they wont stop sending this to me:

"Your account will be deactivated.
    Inbox
    x

The Google Accounts <44pf0887x2z2usih@znsjdg.hubspot.org.uk>
    Jun 7, 2018, 1:08 PM
    to me

Hello,

This is to inform you that your request on: 06/06/2018 2:37:40 p.m. to remove your account from gmail.com server has been approved and will initiate in one hour from the exact time you open this message.

Regards,

ignore this message to continue with email removal or

If this deactivation was not requested by you

Please reply us.

Regards,
    Google

NOTE: If You Receive This Message In Your Junk or Spam Its Due to Your Internet Provider"

• Posted: May 10, 2018 1:51 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Powder Springs, Georgia, United States

I've been getting text messages on my phone with a similar content, supposedly from Google but with the url g.co/inactiveaccount. I just delete them but it would be great to figure out how to stop them. The account name mentioned is not mine.

• Posted: Apr 24, 2018 8:13 AM by an anonymous user from or near: The Bronx, New York, United States

I received a few of these in my spam folder. The first thing I always do is look at the email of who's sending it. I knew right away it was phishing

• Posted: Apr 22, 2018 8:23 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Dayton, Ohio, United States

I was looking through my spam mail and this showed up:

"Dear Gmail Customer, You submitted a request to terminate your Gmail mail account and the process has started by our Gmail mail Team, Please give us 3 working days to close your mail account.

To cancel the termination request reply to this mail.

All files on your Gmail mail including (Inbox, Sent, Spam, Trash, Draft) will be deleted and access to your Gmail mail account will be Denied.

If you wish to Terminate your Email Address, you can Sign Up for a new Gmail mail account.
    For further help please contact by replying to this mail.

Regards, Gmail! Account Services"

• Posted: Apr 24, 2018 6:36 AM by an anonymous user from or near: Poplar, England, United Kingdom

This just happened to me. They sent me this email on April 22 so it's been 2 days. I changed my gmail password now but will my account really be deactivated?

• Posted: Apr 24, 2018 6:38 AM by info

No, your email account will not be deactivated because the email is a fake. Just delete then when you receive them.

• Posted: Apr 10, 2018 2:57 PM by info

Here is another scam:

"From: "gmail.com No-reply ver postmaster"
    Date: April 10, 2018 at 1:22:19 PM CDT
    Subject: brent.upchurch@gmail.com Deactivation Notice
    Reply-To: "gmail.com No-reply postmaster"

Hi

This is to inform you that your email will be De-activated if you choose not to verify your
    account.
    Server Removal will occur in exactly 48 hours (9 Apr 2018)) ,we recommend that you verify your account below and protect your mailbox.

CLICK HERE TO VERIFY

Take a minute to verify your account now for a faster, safer and full-featured mail experience.

Thank you for your cooperation.
    Β© 2018 gmail.com"

• Posted: Apr 10, 2018 7:34 AM by an anonymous user from or near: Bedminster (Pluckemin), New Jersey, United States

Oddly, my iPhone seems to be suppressing the link, because I keep getting the message, but there is no link to click.

• Posted: Apr 3, 2018 8:58 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Fortitude Valley, Queensland, Australia

I changed my Gmail password 10 minutes after realising it was a scam! AM I TOO LATE!?

• Posted: Apr 3, 2018 9:03 PM by info

If you were able to change your password, it means it is not too late. If it was too late, your account would have been hijacked and you would be able to change your password.

• Posted: Mar 31, 2018 11:46 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

My email quit coming yesterday. Had no idea why until I found 2 emails in my spam folder saying that I'd requested to deactivate. I screenshotted them, blocked the sender, and changed my Google password today. Google had no record of any odd or unauthorized activity. This seems to be a variation on what happened last Fall with people clicking through on the pfishing email. I definitely did not request to deactivate.

• Posted: Mar 30, 2018 11:13 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Pagosa Springs, Colorado, United States

I get these emails frequently. How can they be stopped?

• Posted: Mar 30, 2018 11:32 PM by info

You cannot stop them, but you can flag them as spam so they are automatically sent to your junk/spam folder.

• Posted: Mar 28, 2018 11:18 AM by info

Here is another scam:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Tuesday, March 27, 2018
    Subject: Account Deactivation Initiated #358796
    From: Security Alert

Hello,

We have initiated Deactivation of your Account as per your request and for security reasons you will be logged out of all browsing sessions automatically within 15 minutes of opening this mail.

We take security risks very strictly and would request you to change all your other credentials linked to this account.

Ignore this message to proceed with Account Deactivation.

However if the deactivation was not requested by you or If you have any questions contact us by replying to this mail without altering the subject.

Regards,
    Accounts Team

• Posted: Mar 28, 2018 3:09 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Rome, Georgia, United States

Just remove Pamela ware messages from my account..I don't wanna receive her messages ok please

• Posted: Mar 22, 2018 2:11 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Does Google ever phone you to tell you that your account settings are wrong and you are needing to sign in so they can change it? They are calling me back in 5 minutes....Help please?

• Posted: Mar 22, 2018 4:24 PM by info

No, Google doesn't call you, it is a scam.

• Posted: Mar 16, 2018 1:58 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Leesburg, Florida, United States

I got one almost every day.

• Posted: Mar 14, 2018 2:51 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Pasadena, Maryland, United States

I got one of these like a week ago!

• Posted: Mar 9, 2018 3:27 AM by an anonymous user from or near: Dudley, England, United Kingdom

Been getting these in my Gmail spam folder for quite a while now. At least a couple of months. I know someone is 'Phishing' but I'm not too worried 'cos I will never respond to them. I just 'Delete forever'.

• Posted: Mar 6, 2018 12:14 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Walkerton, Indiana, United States

Been getting them for the last 2 weeks. As I am a long time GMAIL user, I know better than for them to send me stuff in SPAM. I was researching it when I came upon this site to see if it had been reported yet to anyone. Stay Safe in your cyber world everyone

• Posted: Mar 5, 2018 3:30 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Piscataway, New Jersey, United States

I just got one of these today. I suspected it was a scam but am glad I came here to find out for sure.

• Posted: Mar 3, 2018 7:44 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Rockwall, Texas, United States

Just happened to me. Hmmm

• Posted: Mar 1, 2018 3:51 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Lady Lake, Florida, United States

This just happen to me:

"Hello,

This is to inform you that your request on: 02/28/2018 2:37:40 p.m. to remove your account
    open this message.
    Regards,
    ignore this message to continue with email removal or

If this deactivation was not requested by you

Please reply us.

Regards,
    Google"

• Posted: Feb 28, 2018 5:25 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Just had this happen to me. The return email they used is admin@hanig.letelegramme.org.uk
    Thankfully I have not responded.
    Thanks for your page!
    Nisa
    Australia

• Posted: Feb 27, 2018 9:02 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Scottsdale, Arizona, United States

I keep getting these emails on one particular account, always showing up in my spam/junk folder. I just delete it, but I'm tired of getting these fraud attempts.

• Posted: Feb 17, 2018 6:58 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Chicago, Illinois, United States

I've received the email once a week for the past 5 weeks, I just delete it

• Posted: Feb 3, 2018 11:39 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Santa Clara, California, United States

I have copied and pasted the entire em I received in my spam folder:

"𝖧𝗂,

𝖧𝖾𝗒 𝖣𝖾𝖺𝗋 π–’π—Žπ—Œπ—π—ˆπ—†π–Ύπ—‹
    𝖠𝗅𝖾𝗋𝗍: 𝖢𝖾 𝖺𝗋𝖾 π–²π—ˆπ—‹π—‹π—’ π—π—ˆ π—‡π—ˆπ—π—‚π–Ώπ—’ π–Έπ—ˆπ—Ž 𝗍𝗁𝖺𝗍 π—’π—ˆπ—Žπ—‹ π–Ίπ–Όπ–Όπ—ˆπ—Žπ—‡π— gmail.com π—‚π—Œ π–Ίπ–»π—ˆπ—Žπ— π—π—ˆ 𝖻𝖾𝖾𝗇 π—‹π–Ύπ—†π—ˆπ—π–Ύπ–½ π–Ώπ—‹π—ˆπ—† π—ˆπ—Žπ—‹ π–£π–Ίπ—π–Ίπ–»π–Ίπ—Œπ–Ύ π–½π—Žπ–Ύ π—π—ˆ 𝗂𝗇𝖺𝖼𝗍𝗂𝗏𝗂𝗍𝗒.
    π–¨π—Œ π—’π—ˆπ—Žπ—‹ π– π–Όπ–Όπ—ˆπ—Žπ—‡π— π—Œπ—π—‚π—…π—… 𝖠𝖼𝗍𝗂𝗏𝖾?
    π–Έπ—ˆπ—Žπ—‹ 𝖿𝖾𝖾𝖽𝖻𝖺𝖼𝗄 π–Ίπ—…π—π–Ίπ—’π—Œ π—†π–Ίπ—π—π–Ύπ—‹π—Œ.
    𝖨𝗇𝖺𝖼𝗍𝗂𝗏𝖾 π– π–Όπ–Όπ—ˆπ—Žπ—‡π—
    Wed, 25 Jan 2018 06:56:23 (PDT)

𝖱𝖾𝖺𝖼𝗍𝗂𝗏𝖾 π–Έπ—ˆπ—Žπ—‹ π– π–Όπ–Όπ—ˆπ—Žπ—‡π—

π–¨π—Œ π—π—π—‚π—Œ π–Ίπ–Όπ–Όπ—ˆπ—Žπ—‡π— π—Œπ—π—‚π—…π—… 𝖺𝖼𝗍𝗂𝗏𝖾
    π–¦π—ˆπ—ˆπ—€π—…π–Ύ 𝗐𝗂𝗅𝗅 π–Όπ—ˆπ—‡π—π—‚π—‡π—Žπ–Ύ π—π—ˆ 𝖿𝗂𝗅𝗍𝗋𝖾 π—‚π—π—Œ π–½π–Ίπ—π–Ίπ–»π–Ίπ—Œπ–Ύ π—π—ˆ 𝗆𝖺𝗄𝖾 π—Œπ—Žπ—‹π–Ύ 𝖺𝗅𝗅 π—‚π—π—Œ π–’π—Žπ—Œπ—π—ˆπ—†π–Ύπ—‹π—Œ 𝖺𝗋𝖾 𝗋𝖾𝖺𝗅 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝖺𝖼𝗍𝗂𝗏𝖾. π–Έπ—ˆπ—Ž 𝖼𝖺𝗇 π–Όπ—ˆπ—‡π—π—‚π—‡π—Žπ–Ύ π—Žπ—Œπ–Ύ π—π—π—‚π—Œ 𝖺𝗉𝗉 𝖻𝗒 π–Όπ—ˆπ—‡π—π–Ίπ–Όπ—π—‚π—‡π—€ π—Žπ—Œ.
    𝖳𝗁𝖾 π–¦π—ˆπ—ˆπ—€π—…π–Ύ π– π–Όπ–Όπ—ˆπ—Žπ—‡π—π—Œ 𝗍𝖾𝖺𝗆
    π–³π—π—‚π—Œ 𝖾𝗆𝖺𝗂𝗅 𝖼𝖺𝗇'𝗍 𝗋𝖾𝖼𝖾𝗂𝗏𝖾 π—‹π–Ύπ—‰π—…π—‚π–Ύπ—Œ. π–₯π—ˆπ—‹ π—†π—ˆπ—‹π–Ύ π—‚π—‡π–Ώπ—ˆπ—‹π—†π–Ίπ—π—‚π—ˆπ—‡, π—π—‚π—Œπ—‚π— 𝗍𝗁𝖾 π–¦π—ˆπ—ˆπ—€π—…π–Ύ π– π–Όπ–Όπ—ˆπ—Žπ—‡π—π—Œ 𝖧𝖾𝗅𝗉 𝖒𝖾𝗇𝗍𝖾𝗋.
    π–Έπ—ˆπ—Ž 𝗋𝖾𝖼𝖾𝗂𝗏𝖾𝖽 π—π—π—‚π—Œ π—†π–Ίπ—‡π–½π–Ίπ—π—ˆπ—‹π—’ 𝖾𝗆𝖺𝗂𝗅 π—Œπ–Ύπ—‹π—π—‚π–Όπ–Ύ π–Ίπ—‡π—‡π—ˆπ—Žπ—‡π–Όπ–Ύπ—†π–Ύπ—‡π— π—π—ˆ π—Žπ—‰π–½π–Ίπ—π–Ύ π—’π—ˆπ—Ž π–Ίπ–»π—ˆπ—Žπ— π—‚π—†π—‰π—ˆπ—‹π—π–Ίπ—‡π— π–Όπ—π–Ίπ—‡π—€π–Ύπ—Œ π—π—ˆ π—’π—ˆπ—Žπ—‹ π–¦π—ˆπ—ˆπ—€π—…π–Ύ π—‰π—‹π—ˆπ–½π—Žπ–Όπ— π—ˆπ—‹ π–Ίπ–Όπ–Όπ—ˆπ—Žπ—‡π—.
    Β© 𝟀𝟒𝟣πŸͺ π–¦π—ˆπ—ˆπ—€π—…π–Ύ 𝖨𝗇𝖼.,𝖠𝗆𝗉𝗁𝗂𝗍𝗁𝖾𝖺𝗍𝗋𝖾 𝖯𝖺𝗋𝗄𝗐𝖺𝗒, π–¬π—ˆπ—Žπ—‡π—π–Ίπ—‚π—‡π–΅π—‚π–Ύπ—, 𝖒𝖠 𝟫𝟦𝟒𝟦πŸ₯, 𝖴𝖲𝖠"

• Posted: Feb 2, 2018 3:10 AM by an anonymous user from or near: Chicago, Illinois, United States

I saw the message in my spam while I was looking for message that was sent regarding new bank account password. I saw the message that was going to de activate my account in one hour and freaked pulling it up knowing I didn't do as far as I knew. I have changed my password. Is that all?

• Posted: Feb 2, 2018 3:18 AM by info

Yes, that is all you need to do.

• Posted: Jan 17, 2018 12:18 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States

I have received this email and I knew I did not request for my account to be closed. I clicked on the senders name and it was not a valid email so I immediately deleted the email but they continue to send them to me.

• Posted: Jan 17, 2018 2:31 PM by info

Flag them as spam so they are automatically sent to the Spam/Junk folder.

• Posted: Jan 9, 2018 7:01 AM by an anonymous user from or near: Culver, Indiana, United States

I researched it myself as I never requested to close my account. Glad I know better then to open something so suspicious Thank You!!!

• Posted: Dec 5, 2017 11:17 AM by an anonymous user from or near: Sandy, Oregon, United States

This was very helpful to me. I have been told not to ever open spam and I had not made any request to stop my Google account. I just Googled my issue and you answered my questions.

Thanks.

• Posted: Dec 26, 2017 2:15 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Dallas, Texas, United States

Unfortunately, I opened that email in spam. I bet the lie I bit into the lie and let them know the scammers that I did not request deactivation of my Google account. I left my phone number but no password.

• Posted: Nov 30, 2017 2:05 AM by an anonymous user from or near: Liverpool, England, United Kingdom

I have been receiving these phishing emails for several weeks now. They go straight into my spam folder which I review on a regular basis.

I recognise these emails are not genuine - the date error gives them away, ie "my request of 28/12/17" and we are not even in the month of December. I never open these emails as I know they are not genuine and Google would not contact me in this way. Nor have I ever requested my account to be deactivated.

I am surprised however, that Google are not making more of an effort to stop these emails from infiltrating the system as there will be less savvy users out there who will click on the link and put their account at risk.

• Posted: Nov 27, 2017 7:21 PM by an anonymous user from or near: Palm Harbor, Florida, United States

Same thing; this was my message:

"This is to inform you that your request on: 26/11/2017 2:37:40 p.m. to remove your account from gmail.com server has been approved and will initiate in one hour from the exact time you open this message.

Regards,

ignore this message to continue with email removal or If this deactivation was not requested by you

Please reply us.

Regards,

Google

I never made this request. I replied saying I never made this request. Why am I getting this? Now that I know this is a scam I am very mad and angry. What the heck do I do? How do I stop this and how do I stop getting phishing emails?? Please respond immediately!! I have so much private information in this email. I do not want hackers getting my personal information.

Someone, please help me so I can fix this problem. Can I report to Google or are they already made aware of it? I never logged into anything so do they have my information now? Someone, please respond ASAP. Same thing happened to my old email. One day I change my password click on a email from Google and since then I have not been able to get into my account.

DONT FALL FOR THIS!!!

• Posted: Nov 27, 2017 7:28 PM by info

Once you didn't click the link in the email and sign into the website that you were taken to, you are OK. If you did click on the link, please change your password.

The email is a fake and an attempt by cybercriminals to trick you into clicking on the link.

• Posted: Nov 14, 2017 8:07 AM by info

Here is another scam:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
    From: The Google Accounts
    Date: Sun, Nov 12, 2017 at 1:23 PM
    Subject: Your account will be deactivated

Hello,

This is to inform you that your request on: 11/11/2017 2:37:40 p.m. to remove your account from gmail.com server has been approved and will initiate in one hour from the exact time you open this message.
    Regards.