A Sample Walmart Text Scam
“You have been randomly selected for a Walmart gift. Get your $1,000 gift card at [link removed].”
Walmart does not offer gift cards via text messages, phone calls, online advertisements on websites that are not a Walmart.com site, or through social media sites for “likes” or sharing a post. Walmart will only call or text you with offers if you opt-in to receive such messages. Walmart will never ask you to email personal information such as:
- Social Security Numbers
- Bank account details
- Credit card numbers
- Other financial information
Walmart will not make unsolicited calls or send emails asking for such information. However, for fraud prevention purposes, Walmart customer service may ask for you to verify personal information such as address or telephone number, that you have previously provided.
Signs of Fraud
The surveys we describe above are our legitimate surveys. Scammers may try to imitate Walmart to gain access to your personal information. The following are signs of fraudulent surveys:
- Poor grammar
- Poor spelling
- Outdated logos or branding (e.g. use of Wal-Mart or WAL-MART, instead of Walmart)
- There is often fine print disclosing that the offer is not associated with the brand listed
- To receive the “free” gift card you are asked to complete several steps and to request that several of your friends complete the same steps
How to Protect Yourself
- Don't open or respond to unsolicited e-mails, internet pop-up ads, or text messages indicating you’ve won a gift card or asking that you complete a survey.
- Don't click on or respond to online ads or web sites offering free gift cards.
- Remember, if it sounds too good to believe, it is!
If you were a victim of fraud via the internet, you should file a report with your local law enforcement along with the Internet Crime Complaint Center (ICCC). The ICCC is a partnership between the FBI and the National White Collar Crime Center. You can make a report with the ICCC by going to the following link: ICCC.
Check the comment section below for additional information, share what you know, or ask a question about this article by leaving a comment below. And, to quickly find answers to your questions, use our search
Note: Some of the information in samples on this website may have been impersonated or spoofed.
Comments, Questions, Answers, or Reviews
To protect your privacy, please do not post or remove sensitive information in or from your comments, questions, or reviews. NB: We will use your IP address to display your approximate location to other users when you make a post. That location is not enough to find you.
Your comment, answer, or review will be set as anonymous because you are not signed in. An anonymous comment, answer, or review cannot be edited or deleted, therefore, review it carefully before posting. Sign-in.
Show More Comments (14)
Write Your Comment, Question, Answer, or Review