SARS SMS Scam Text Messages: Beware
Would you share this Article with others? +
A SARS SMS Scam
Dear Tax Payer, SARS Have issued a ltter of demand which requires your rgent attention. Cick:-*** View your letter of demand. SARS
Here are some tips to help protect you against SARS SMS scams:
- Do not open or respond to emails from unknown sources.
- Beware of emails that ask for personal, tax, banking and eFiling details (login credentials, passwords, pins, credit / debit card information, etc.).
- SARS will never request your banking details in any communication that you receive via post, email, or SMS. However, for the purpose of telephonic engagement and authentication purposes, SARS will verify your personal details. Importantly, SARS will not send you any hyperlinks to other websites - even those of banks.
- SARS does not send *.htm or *.html attachments.
- SARS will never ask for your credit card details.
- In order for a tax practitioner to charge you for their services, they must be registered. You can check here whether your Tax Practitioner is registered with SARS and a Recognised Controlling Body (RCB).
Recipients of fake and suspicious SMS or text messages can do the following:
- Sent the SMS or text message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Call the Fraud and Anti-Corruption Hotline on 0800 00 28700800 00 2870.
- To verify the authenticity of correspondence from SARS, call the SARS Contact Centre on 0800 00 72770800 00 7277.
Note: Some of the information in samples on this website may have been impersonated or spoofed.
Check the comment section below for additional information and share what you know or ask a question about this article by leaving a comment below.
Remember to forward suspicious, malicious, or phishing email messages to us at the following email address: email@example.com. And, report missing persons, scams, untrustworthy, or fraudulent websites to us. Tell us why you consider the websites untrustworthy or fraudulent. Also, to quickly find answers to your questions, use our search
Click here help maintain Online Threat Alerts (OTA).
Comments, Questions, Answers, or Reviews
To protect your privacy, please do not post or remove sensitive information in or from your comments, questions, or reviews.
Write Your Comment, Question, Answer, or Review
NB: We will use your IP address to display your approximate location to other users.