Paymentus Email Scam Targets Utility Customers
In the event that someone emails or calls you and says they are from an electric company and asks for payment, please keep in mind:
- Electric companies will not email you with threats to pay your account - customers who are behind on their electric bills receive written notices of a possible disconnection and how to prevent it.
- If you are unsure if an email or call is from your electric company, you should call the main customer service number for your electric company immediately.
- Your electric company will not ask for your bank information or credit card number over the phone.
- Delete any emails from utilities that are not your service provider.
- Ignore suspicious requests for personal information such as bank account numbers, user names and passwords, credit card numbers, or Social Security numbers.
- Delete all suspicious emails that require immediate action to verify or demand personal information.
If you believe you have been a victim of this scam or any other scam, please contact your local police department or your state attorney general’s office.
Visit the Federal Trade Commission’s site for information on how you can protect your personal information. If you have been victimized by this scam, we encourage you to report it online to the U.S. Department of Justice Financial Fraud Enforcement Task Force at stopfraud.gov.
Check the comment section below for additional information, share what you know or ask a question about this article by leaving a comment below. And, to quickly find answers to your questions, use our search
Click here help maintain Online Threat Alerts (OTA).
Note: Some of the information in samples on this website may have been impersonated or spoofed.
Comments, Questions, Answers, or Reviews
To protect your privacy, please do not post or remove sensitive information in or from your comments, questions, or reviews.
Write Your Comment, Question, Answer, or Review
NB: We will use your IP address to display your approximate location to other users.
Recommendations / Ads