This phishing AOL scam is used by scammers to trick AOL users into sending your financial and personal information by threating to cancel their accounts. AOL will never request this information and if you receive any e-mail message claiming to be from AOL, requesting your username, password,credit card information or any personal information, please report the e-mail to AOL by sending it firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Password or Billing Requests E-mail Message:
Good day AOL user, we have been notified at our financial department that you have not submitted the right credit card number, telephone number, and billing address with first and last name. Please reply with that information and we will be glad to enter it on the computer for you. If you wish not to reply we will be forced to cancel your account.
Please state the following in order:
1. Current credit card company or bank
2. Number of the card and expiry date
3. Your name
4. Address and state with zip and your home and phone number
5. Number of bank or the back of your card phone number
6. Social Security number
7. Date of birth
8. Mother's maiden name - Regards, Jon Robinson, Community Action Team, AOL Inc.
AOL recommends that you do the following:
Your AOL password protects your AOL account from unauthorized access. Only people who know your password can sign in with your username; therefore, never reveal your password to anyone.
If you suspect any unauthorized access to your account or username, you should immediately:
1. Change your password. There is no limit on the number of times you can change your password.
2. Update you billing and contact information.
3. Report the email violation.
Report Instant Message violations
If you receive an instant message requesting your password or billing information, you can report the message to the AOL Community Action Team.
To report instant message violations on AOL 9.0 Security Edition and newer versions of AOL software:
1. On the IM window, click Report IM Spam.
2. Click OK.
To report instant message violations on AOL 9.0 SE and older versions of AOL software:
1. On the IM window, click Notify AOL.
2. Type your report in the text box, and then click Send Report.