Today we will see how courier companies create unified Canada packages tracking systems for shipments.
Why use parcel tracking?
Parcel tracking is based on 3 factors:
- parcel/container localization;
- sorting of shipments;
- goods delivery.
If these conditions are established, then the seller and the client can easily track the process of the "journey" of the parcel and the source of its dispatch. Also, correct data allows you to calculate the estimated date of delivery of the parcel.
From the client's point of view, this process has the following advantages:
- gives information about the current location of the goods;
- notifies about the route of the package;
- names the reference date of delivery.
All this makes the use of Canada Post even more comfortable.
Tracking system in e-commerce
From the point of view of a logistics company, the control of the movement of packages consists of 7 stages:
- Assigning a barcode to a product. A barcode is a unique identifier. It contains all the information that is associated with the package - the destination, the recipient's data, and so on;
- Barcode scanning. When the parcel is packed and sent, its barcode is scanned by an employee of the courier company. This information is uploaded to the company's tracking system. It is to it that the buyer gets access;
- Storage of scanned data. After scanning a barcode, all information about it remains in the system. Such information includes the time and place of departure, as well as the point of arrival;
- Receipt of the shipment. After leaving the seller's warehouse, the parcel is sent to the branch of the courier organization.
- Rescan barcode. When the product reaches the branch, employees scan its barcode again and enter the updated data into the system. This data displays the time of arrival of the parcel;
- Issue of goods for delivery. At the final destination of the courier company, the goods undergo a final scan. After this operation, it is completely ready for delivery;
- Package delivery. After receiving the goods to its buyer, employees enter information into the tracking system that the shipment has reached the addressee. At the same time, additional information is entered - delivery time, recipient's name, etc.
During all this time, the buyer is able to track the parcels on their own. To do this, they only need the track number of the package. It must be entered in the related field on the tracking website. The shipment status includes all stages of changing the location of the goods.
With the popularity of online shopping, tracking shipments has become the only possible way out of the situation. Without tracking, thousands of buyers would be left without their purchases.