649 Area Code Scam Calls are on the Increase
Would you share this Article with others? +
Therefore, if have you missed a call from a 649 area code, whomever called can send you a text message (or leave a voicemail). If they did neither, and you don't know who called, don't worry about it. Also, remember that it's unlikely that someone you do not know who is in distress at a location with which you are not familiar would dial a random number in another country and ask you to help them--they would call the police.
The area codes are international numbers that still fall under the +1 country code. According to Inc.com, scammers want you to call or text back. Those call-back numbers are often premium numbers, similar to 1-900 numbers. Calling or texting back can lead to expensive charges on your next phone bill.
Here are the current international area codes within the +1 country code:
- 242 -- Bahamas
- 441 -- Bermuda
- 784 -- St. Vincent and Grenadines
- 246 -- Barbados
- 473 -- Grenada, Carriacou, and Petite Martinique
- 809, 829, and 849 -- Dominican Republic
- 264 -- Anguilla
- 649 -- Turks and Caicos
- 868 -- Trinidad and Tobago
- 268 -- Antigua
- 664 -- Montserrat
- 876 -- Jamaica
- 284 -- British Virgin Islands
- 721 -- Sint Maarten
- 758 -- St. Lucia
- 869 -- St. Kitts and Nevis
- 345 -- Cayman Islands
- 767 -- Dominica
- Here are the U.S. Territories' area codes:
- American Samoa -- 684
- Guam -- 671
- Northern Mariana Islands -- 670
- Puerto Rico -- 787 and 939
- U.S. Virgin Islands -- 340
- Here are the Canadian area codes (listed by province):
- Alberta -- 403, 587, and 780
- British Columbia -- 236, 250, 604, and 778
- Manitoba -- 204 and 431
- New Brunswick -- 506
- Newfoundland -- 709 (879 is being added in 2018)
- Northwest Territories -- 867
- Nova Scotia -- 902
- Nunavut -- 867
- Ontario -- 226, 249, 289, 343, 365, 416, 437, 519, 613, 647, 705, 807, and 905
- Quebec -- 418, 438, 450, 514, 579, 581, 819, and 873
- Saskatchewan -- 306 and 639
- Yukon -- 867
- Nationwide -- 600 (and possibly 622, 633, 644, 655, 677, and 688)
- U.S.-Canada Numbers to Beware:
- Area code -- 900
Note: Some of the names, addresses, email addresses, telephone numbers or other information in samples on this website may have been impersonated or spoofed.
Check the comment section below for additional information and share what you know or ask a question about this article by leaving a comment below.
Remember to forward suspicious, malicious, or phishing email messages to us at the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. And, report missing persons, scams, untrustworthy, or fraudulent websites to us. Tell us why you consider the websites untrustworthy or fraudulent. Also, to quickly find answers to your questions, use our search
You can help maintain Online Threat Alerts (OTA) by paying a service fee. Click here to make payment.
Comments, Questions, Answers, or Reviews
To help protect your privacy, please do not post or remove, your full name, telephone number, email address, username, password, account number, credit card information, home address or other sensitive information in or from your comments, questions, or reviews. Also, remember to keep comments, reviews, answers respectful.
Write Your Comment, Question, Answer, or Review
Write your comment, question, answer, or review in the box below to share what you know or to get answers. NB: We will use your IP address to display your approximate location to other users.