How the Venmo Call Works
The scammer may try to sign into your account and encounter Venmo's multi-factor authentication process. This process requires the person signing in to enter a code sent to the phone number on the Venmo account. They will then call you pretending to be from Venmo and say they need you to provide them the code.
Other common variations are saying they are with Venmo and need you to log into the account they created for you, or ask you to send a payment to another Venmo account.
How to Avoid the Venmo Scam
But, NEVER provide verification codes sent to your phone to anyone. A Venmo agent will never ask you for this code under any circumstances.
- Venmo will never ask to access your device remotely.
- Venmo will never ask you to install a third-party app.
- Venmo will never create an account on your behalf.
- Venmo will never direct you to send money from your Venmo account to another user via a different payment platform.
- Venmo will never ask you to send money to "verify" your account.