Plaintiffs allege that Settling Defendants violated antitrust laws by entering into an agreement not to compete with each other and to limit competition among themselves in selling health insurance and administrative services for health insurance. Settling Defendants deny all allegations of wrongdoing and assert that their conduct results in lower healthcare costs and greater access to care for their customers. The Court has not decided who is right or wrong. Instead, Plaintiffs and Settling Defendants have agreed to a Settlement to avoid the risk and cost of further litigation.
If approved by the Court, the Settlement will establish a $2.67 billion Settlement Fund. Settling Defendants will also agree to make changes in the way they do business that Plaintiffs believe will increase the opportunities for competition in the market for health insurance.
Who is included?
The Court certified two Settlement Classes in this case―a Damages Class and an Injunctive Relief Class. For more information about these classes, please see FAQ 5.
How do I participate in the Settlement?
To make a claim and receive a payment, you must file a claim form online or by mail postmarked by November 5, 2021. Claims may be submitted online or by mail to:
Blue Cross Blue Shield Settlement
c/o JND Legal Administration
PO Box 91390
Seattle, WA 98111
If you select the Alternative Option, you must submit relevant data or records showing a higher contribution percentage. Otherwise the Default Option will be used. Instructions for submitting your claim are on the claim form, available here. When required, sufficient documentation shall include an attestation signed under penalty of perjury when other documentation is no longer available.
The Court in charge of this case still has to decide whether to approve the Settlement. Payments will be made if the Court approves the Settlement and after any appeals are resolved. Please be patient.
Your Legal Rights and Options in this Settlement Once Notice Begins
- FILE A CLAIM - File a claim for payment Online or by mail.
- (DAMAGES CLASS ONLY) - Be bound by the Settlement.
- November 5, 2021 (Submitted Online or Postmarked) - Give up your right to sue or continue to sue Settling Defendants for the claims in this case.
- ASK TO BE EXCLUDED ("OPT OUT") - Remove yourself from the Class
- (DAMAGES CLASS ONLY) - Receive no payment.
- July 28, 2021 (Postmarked) - Keep your right to sue or continue to sue Settling Defendants for the claims in this case.
- OBJECTJuly 28, 2021 (Postmarked) - Write to the Court about why you do not like the Settlement
- ATTEND THE HEARING - Ask to speak to the Court about the fairness of the Settlement October 20, 2021
For more information, go to www.bcbssettlement.com.
Check the comment section below for additional information, share what you know, or ask a question about this article by leaving a comment below. And, to quickly find answers to your questions, use our search
Note: Some of the information in samples on this website may have been impersonated or spoofed.
Comments, Questions, Answers, or Reviews
To protect your privacy, please do not post or remove sensitive information in or from your comments, questions, or reviews.
Write Your Comment, Question, Answer, or Review
NB: We will use your IP address to display your approximate location to other users.
Recommendation / Advertisement